· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Filter Overkill?

1 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about upgrading to a canister filter. Right now I'm running a Fluval C4 on my 45g, but I've had white cloudy water since I started the tank about 6 weeks ago and I've been wanting to upgrade to a canister for a long time, so now I have my excuse to spend the extra dough. I know I have the option of getting a second HOB filter and filling it with carbon and polishing pads / filter wool, but I want to have the best filtration set up possible (within reason).

My question is: Is it possible to over-do it when it comes to filters? By that I mean, could I get a canister filter rated for up to 120 gallons and use it on my 45? Would the water flow be too powerful? I'm trying to look ahead to getting a bigger tank in the future so if I can stick with one filter from now till then that would be ideal. I'm eyeing the Fluval 406 or Eheim Classic 350.

Any suggestions as far as specific filters would be great too!

Thanks!

Default Filter Overkill?

2 Not allowed!
    Definitely switch to a canister. You'll never go back :-)

Don't pay attention to what they say the filters rated for. When I had my 45 I ran a fluval 405 on it. You can't go wrong putting a 406 on yours. You could also get a sunsun 303 (370 GPH). I've got 4 sunsuns and like them very much.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

2 Not allowed!
    unless you have flow sensitive fish - like a betta - then go ahead and grab a canister. there's nothing better for quiet running and bio-media capacity.
    Even if you find the flow too powerful, there are ways to diffuse it.
    20gal long planted community

4 Not allowed!
    Get the eheim classics! I just put 2 eheim 2215 on my 75 and I love these things

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    Not to go topic to much but, why is your water cloudy? Did you do a fishless cycle? Do you have fish in tank now? What are your water pH, ammiona, nitrates , nitrites and temp? Are you trying to get rid of clody water with bigger filter?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah I was wondering same thing.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I think I have a bit of an impulse buying problem. Just bought a sunsun 403b off ebay.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had never heard of sunsun before, but after about 45 minutes of research I couldn't help but go for it seeing as how they're almost $100 cheaper than the bigger name comparables. Now the hard part......waiting for it to arrive.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't say for sure why my water is cloudy. It's been that way since day one. (6-7 week old tank) I thought maybe it was a bacterial bloom, but I don't think that would have happened literally as soon as I filled my tank with water. I think it's either insufficiently washed gravel or my tap-water having a lot of sediment in it (especially since the water shows no improvement even immediately after a partial water change).

I've had 4 zebra danios in there for almost 2 weeks now and they are doing great. I tested my water 3 days ago and ammonia was 0, nitrites were very low and I think I messed up the nitrate test because nothing showed up at all. Haven't had time to re-test yet. pH is around 7.5 and temp is 78-79F.

It looks to me like there are very fine particles causing the cloudiness so I'm hoping more/better filtration will take care of the problem. The C4 media doesn't seem to be the best for fine mechanical filtration.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Ok the first one is easy on the nitrate test if you have the api liquid test the second bottel need to bee shaken for a minute as a minium. For the test to work right.
    On cloudy water you could try polister pillow fill as a fine mechinal filter as a last set in filter. Put in the discharge chute.
    A last idea is to try seachem clarity. Neat product.
    it seems like your makeing a good start. When you get the new fliter run both on tank for a month. To.allow the Bb to grow in the new filter.
    last thanks for awnsering the questions.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with advice about canister filter, are great as mechanical and bio filters, plus ability to polish water, used them on my salt tanks and now on freshwater tank, I love mine, dinosaur that it is.