· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Tall Aquarium question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, I am starting a new aquarium and I need some advise! I have purchased a tall hexagonal 100 gallon aquarium each side is 13.5 inches and it is 49 inches tall. What type of freshwater fish can I put in it to cover all levels? How many?I have had large tanks beofre, so am familiar with set ups, but have never had a tall tank. thanks for your advise!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure not a lot of stuff can go in a tall tank, you could try guppies and platies but they breed readily and red cherry shrimp and 5 or so otocinclus.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarbear_2002 View Post
    Hi everyone, I am starting a new aquarium and I need some advise! I have purchased a tall hexagonal 100 gallon aquarium each side is 13.5 inches and it is 49 inches tall. What type of freshwater fish can I put in it to cover all levels? How many?I have had large tanks beofre, so am familiar with set ups, but have never had a tall tank. thanks for your advise!!!
    Pff..there's a challenge. Maintenance only... I shudder to think.

Hmm.. you could do a south american community centered around some tall wood with plants and moss on it. Some vallis on the bottom. Cories, good shoal of tetras and pencilfish and one or two pair of dwarf cichlids maybe.

An alternative, but you'd need an expert for that, is to build a rock wall on the back and do a community with smaller mbuna.

In any case, ignore the volume and start thinking from the perspective of the floor space.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I've seen colum tanks that are like 6' tall, it would make a nice crayfish cooking pot. Haha
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

2 Not allowed!
    Fish in a horizontal plane much more than in the vertical, and thus floor space is also an important thing to consider besides tank volume. Despite having a very large volume of water you actually have a very limited stocking capacity due to the tank's shape.

Broadly speaking, I would stock the tank in the same way I would stock a conventionally shaped tank of the same footprint. (small community fish, shrimp, snails, etc)