· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

3 Not allowed!
    Its not normal...when he bites someone attempting to herd some poor woman like a cow and you are slapped with a law suit you will realize this. You are responsible for your dog's behavior.

It is a breed trait of my Pitbull to pull like a freight train and have dog aggression. I have trained him to not pull and to have leash manners, it took lots of tools and time but he no longer pulls. He also does not have dog aggression because I exposed him to other dogs of various sizes and temperaments...any aggression or dominant behavior was corrected by me.

Its not the dog with issues...it is it's owner for allowing the behavior to continue.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Not bite them he nips us sometimes and he trys to circle random people and other animals, and its because he's alwaus hyper and has no litter mates or other dogs to play with he's always niping us because he wants to play.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    She is a he just sayin, and we don't have money to take her to a obiedience class my parents said get him to calm down or he's out so yeah I have $3 so again NO CLASSES
    Ok, simmer down.

You never mention classes were out of the question before, nor did you mention a budget. I was offering yo the benefit of my many years of experience with many different dogs and you offered disrespect in return.

Also, nipping behavior can sometimes lead to biting depending on the personality of the dog and the situation. You'll have to excuse the pun, but you might want to nip that behavior in the bud. By that I mean stop the nipping behavior now while he is a pupppy and more easily trained and before it can lead to a serious problem
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not being disrespectful just sayin no classes, yeah I thought I put there was a budget in the first post I forgot it sorry
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

3 Not allowed!
    Do you have any dog parks nearby? These are free spaces where dogs are allowed to run and play off-leash in a confined (fenced) area. The one near me also has a separate space for smaller dogs that may not do well with the larger ones. Just a couple of hours at a park will expend some of that energy. But at 5 months old, you can't yet expect him to be as calm as an adult dog. You have to have patience while he matures.

I agree with the others, however, that particularly with a dog with a strong personality, you really need to start to concentrate on basic manners. Five months is not too young to start and there's got to be plenty of videos on-line you can use if you can't afford to attend standard training. Put the time in now and you'll be rewarded with a better pet.

Years ago, I watched a neighbor's son (20-something yr old) spend time every day with his pit bull puppy, working on the basics. Every time the dog was walked, some time was devoted to teaching sit, stay, come, etc. She became a wonderful pet and he often brought her to school with him where he taught special-ed kids. The kids loved her and the well mannered dog loved the attention. Win-win for all.

0 Not allowed!
    Nipping in itself can break the skin...in our sue happy world that is all it takes.

Nipping and biting are still products of the same...fear, lack of socialization, lack of exercise, and lack of experience with stimulus. This is where the owner needs to practice proper ownership and teach their dog to have good manners.

My own dog is a work in progress he is "the perfect dog" except for becoming easily excited. This is most likely a genetic issue with him as he also suffers from chronic anxiety despite how much exercise and training he has. He also takes medication to help control his anxiety. Some things are breed traits which training cannot fix. In my dog's case this is a lower impulse control...in yours it is hyper activity. In either case you need to learn to manage the symptoms which you cannot change. You CAN change the nipping and the lack of manners. You cannot change his energy level...you instead need to work with it. Give him 3-4 miles per day with a bicycle, along with some interactive puzzle toys and a few rounds on an agility course. Also socialize him, teach him not to nip people, do not allow him to herd humans or animals. He will be a much better dog.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

1 Not allowed!
    You've received excellent advice. I also have trained dogs...for obedience and have taught in puppy clases.

It takes a long time to learn how to train a dog effectively...and it is not necessarily intuitive either. You have to always be consistent with the rules...and everyone in the family must also comply.

If you can't afford a puppy class...then watch videos...read books.

But do see what your vet and local SPCA have to offer...sometimes they will have free beginner classes.

Or...ask at your local Kennel and Obedience Club...they might be inclined to let you train your for free in return for cleaning services, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Nipping in itself can break the skin...in our sue happy world that is all it takes.

Nipping and biting are still products of the same...fear, lack of socialization, lack of exercise, and lack of experience with stimulus. This is where the owner needs to practice proper ownership and teach their dog to have good manners.

My own dog is a work in progress he is "the perfect dog" except for becoming easily excited. This is most likely a genetic issue with him as he also suffers from chronic anxiety despite how much exercise and training he has. He also takes medication to help control his anxiety. Some things are breed traits which training cannot fix. In my dog's case this is a lower impulse control...in yours it is hyper activity. In either case you need to learn to manage the symptoms which you cannot change. You CAN change the nipping and the lack of manners. You cannot change his energy level...you instead need to work with it.
    Good advice up to here.

Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Give him 3-4 miles per day with a bicycle, along with some interactive puzzle toys and a few rounds on an agility course.
    But I strongly disagree with this and I believe that any veterinarian would back me up - you should not be exercising a five month old puppy this much - NOT until his joints have matured. It's potentially quite damaging. Exercise the dog's brain but go easy on an immature body or you'll have problems in later life. The rule of thumb I use when taking pups out for walks is 5 minutes for each month of their age. Do remember that he is still a baby - exuberance in a pup is normal and should not be a sign that the dog just needs wearing out with exercise.

Again, concentrate on obedience and tricks to keep the mind active and instil some manners. This in itself can help calm an over-excitable pup.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I did around 3 miles per day with my Pit broken into 2 mile and a half sessions when he was around that age. Herding dogs also have insane energy, he would be fine IMO. I would however not just do only asphalt or concrete...hard surfaces are hard on joints...some trails or "soft" surfaces would be best. A 25-30 minute walk twice per day with some periods of free running would easily be 1.5-2miles per session

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah all I have is a cultasac(I know its spelled wrong), and people don't like dogs on there lawn or even the little strip of grass in between the sidewalk and road, and I can't take him on my lawn because we got new sod recently and it has fungus on it and so its all dieing and my landlord had to spray a really strong fungicide, and then after the fungus is gone we have to get new sod.