· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For a beautiful tank :) - steeler58   Let's bump this school up! - Compass   I'll match Compass's neon! - steeler58   Now we're getting a shoal going! - Compass   A NUDDER WUN!!! - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Up the iso as far as you dare. This looks like 1600.

With macro lenses your Depth of Field becomes tiny so it's always playing with shutter speed versus aperture.

I generally clean the front glass well. Wait until it's dark, switch off the room lights. Mount the camera on a tripod and sit as still as I can waiting for something to happen. If it does then gentle fluid movements are essential.
    Bit like wildlife photography really.
    Pretty much. But generally a lot more depth of field is obtainable without insane ISO/Aperture relationships. It's also a fair bit easier to track most wildlife. The bigger the animal the easier it is to track focus etc.

Until you try that theory in the blue hour or dawn. Beautiful light but extremely difficult to balance the needed shutter speed and aperture.

The tech has advanced an incredible amount when it comes to noise processing
    My journal....Swimming in South Africa:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...49#post1329449

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Those are some excellent pics Firefly
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    The 100mm Macro is great but is very thirsty on light requirements. I can check the actual settings on each photo later if anyone is interested in a particular shot but from memory I think all of these were taken at ISO3200 (which is the maximum that camera can do), hence the noise. The newer the camera the less noise you get at the upper ranges. It's really quite impressive. My previous camera was a Canon 300D which didn't handle noise well at 1600+. This camera is a Canon 550D.

The shutter speed was pretty slow from what I can remember (probably around 1/30th second) although I'd have to check this. The aperture was between f2.8-f4 - any higher than that and the shutter speed would be far too slow to get a sharp shot. Depth of field is subsequently very narrow. Lots of photos got deleted from this session as they were either blurred from movement/camera shake or the DoF was just so narrow that most of the subject was out of focus.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~