· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Feeding Bolivian Ram Blood Worms

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have any tips for feeding bolivian rams freeze dried blood worms? They float on the surface and my cardinal tetra usually see them before the ram does so they eat all of them. I have also tried using tweezers and dropping the worm right in front of my BR but he gets scared by the tweezers and swims away

2 Not allowed!
    Use a shot glass and tank water.put frezz dryied blood worms in to shot.glass and a add tank water. Let soak till they sink them add to tank to feed.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

3. Default

3 Not allowed!
    I had the same problem, I would feed the tetras a little at a time until they're good and then add the rest for the ram, they should let most of it fall to the bottom at that point.

When you soak the food in the glass as mentioned above, you can also get a plastic turkey baster to siphon in the food and water, and just spot feed the ram like that sometimes. Probably works better after the tetras have been fed though. Or you can just pour it slowly into the tank. (Soaking is also recommended so that in case the fish eats too much while the food is pretty dry, the food can end up swelling up in the fish).

Just tried it on the weekend and they weren't bothered by the baster. I think it's also because they're getting used to me putting things in the tank when i clean and stuff.
    Last edited by fish gazer; 08-11-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome guys thanks that's a great idea! Also after feeding today I noticed the cardinal tetras all had big black bellies is this just thier belly being full?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can you get a pic of the tetras after they eat? Sometimes the black is their full intestines. I see it clearly on my harlequins. But big black belly? Not sure...
    Last edited by fish gazer; 08-12-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's not the best photo the little buggers won't stay still the one in the middle is the clearest but they all look similar image.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Freeze dried worms have an inherent tendency to float because they are full of air pockets. Besides that, some people say that they aren't the best food to feed anyways because they may cause constipation.
    Have you tried regular frozen brine shrimp?
    My two bolivian pairs love them. If I feed brine shrimp for more than 4-5 consecutive days in a row they start courting and spawning.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I can't really tell about the black bellies, maybe someone else can help you out...Or if you want to check yourself, feed them, look at their belly that day and then skip a feeding and check it out again, see if the black is gone, then it may just be their full intestines.

I tried brine shrimp as well, no one touched it but they do love frozen bloodworms though, they only get it once a week.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    If I'm seeing that right, then that isn't right. Is the bloodworms the only thing you feed them? I too soak all my food in shot glasses before putting in the tank (except flake food). It looks like they might be constipated. If they will eat it give them a small slice of cooked pea. Take the shell off and maybe put a little garlic powder on it. Since peas sink you might hold it with a pair of tweezers at the surface for them to nibble on.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks compass I feed them flake food everyday and bloodworms every once in a while