· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Found some LED's at work...

0 Not allowed!
    I found some LED light bars at work. I see many articles on LED lighting that is designed for Aquariums, but what about bars that are not specifically deigned for this?

Specs are here... http://www.ccs-grp.com/s2_ps/src/pro...14/1053/e.html

The K is right, but the spread is very intense... Any ideas? Good, Bad?

0 Not allowed!
    I could not find the info in that link that I would need to give you a informed opinion. I know it lists the LEDs as 0.3 watts, but it could not find where it stated how many of these LEDs where in the fixture/bar, nor could I find were it listed the angles of the lenses. Did I just miss that ? The PDF I found makes it sound like you can choose the lenses you want?

Also, would this light be for a aquarium with live plants ? If yes, what size of tank and what type of plants ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The ones that I have are about 6" x 1" with about 180 LEDs in it. They are 6600K.
    This link shows a diagram of the light spread... It is considered "wide model"
    http://www.ccs-grp.com/s2_ps/src/pro.../i_ct/1053/0/2

Yes live plants, I would love to get the plants to spread out densely, vs. growing straight up a spindly. My tank is 36 Gallons, the surface to substrate is 18 inches, but the light will be another 5 inches higher. I have an array of plants, cabomba, downoi, undulata, java fern, and a few others. I would love to try finer leaved plants.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have the model with what the manufacture refers to as the "narrow" lenses, that would give you around a 40 degree lenses (at the base of the diode). That might be good enough. As this fixture used a lot of smaller wattage LEDs (instead of less higher wattage ones) I could not say for certain it would work for plants that need mid to higher lighting levels. It should be OK for plants do well with lower lighting levels, like the Java Fern.

If you can get these LEDs at a good enough price it might be worth a try.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for responding, Cliff.
    I have two of these for FREE. That is a good price in my book. The lenses on the set I have are the "wide" model.
    Do you think they would be strong enough to replace 2 - 24" T8 bulbs?

0 Not allowed!
    Well if it's free, you got nothing to loose by giving it a try

It should work for low light plants at the least.

I would suggest giving it a test and see what happens

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks again,
    I just don't want to put all the energy into dismounting the florescent bulbs for the LED's if they will not be as strong.
    Do you find that there is a difference in water penetration between LED's and florescent bulbs in general?

0 Not allowed!
    It’s really hard to compare the two as they are based on completely different technologies.

However, generally speaking, a good quality LED with lenses that have a strong angle (40 to 70 degrees) will be a lot more intense than a T5 or T8