· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I know the requirements for all the fish like I said not all of them should be together but for now there doing fine whatever needs to be moved will be moved I myself am in the middle of moving and afterwards all of the fish will have their needs

0 Not allowed!
    And most of the time when I do look up the requirements it leads me to forums so why not just start here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    You were looking for identification of your discus, but that's extremely difficult to do when your camera was on them only 2 or 3 times, very quickly, for just a few seconds, and we never got a decent view of either one of them.
    However, the quick look I got seems to indicate you have 2 hybrids - one appears to be some type of cross of a pigeon blood based fish with perhaps a red melon, while the other one appears to be a cross of a blue diamond with something else. Very hard to tell.

At any rate, and regrettably, both fish are not good quality, and will likely not do well over the long term given the obvious poor water quality & conditions of your tank.
    If you want to keep discus successfully you need to keep a larger group, minimum of 5, in a larger tank than they're in now, without all of those incompatible discus tank-mates, and you would need to maintain a proper routine of water changes and tank cleansing to provide good water quality for their welfare.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy, Happy new year - SeaLady   Happy Birthday Kido...better late than never :-) - Taurus   Happy belated Birthday, how come nobody knew? - steeler58   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm going to guess that you have a Blue Cobalt and a Pigeon Blood discus of some type, Sandz would be a much better judge of this than me. While I applaud your attempt at keeping discus at your age (reflection from the tank glass), I feel it is going to be only that...an attempt. I don't believe you did any prior research into discus before adding them to your tank so I'm going to ask a few questions and make several comments.

When did you get your discus?

Do you realize you have juvenile discus? Any discus under 4-1/2" is considered juvenile.

Juvenile discus are very difficult to start with. They require extremely clean water, they come from breeders who use only bare bottom tanks and do 100% water changes per day. For young discus to grow they need to be feed several times a day leading to water that needs to be changed in large quantities and daily.

Discus are a schooling fish and should not be kept in a group less than five in a 55 gallon tank. The only time two can be kept together is if they are a mated pair. As they get a bit older the Blue discus you have (from what I saw in the video) is going to become much more aggressive to the other and that is going to cause stress and that is going to lead to a very sick fish.

Juvenile discus like yours should only be in a bare bottom tank due to the multiple feedings required, it is just too difficult to truly clean a gravel bottom tank. Once they are adults, sand can then be added to the tank but I can't stress this enough about keeping the water fresh and clean. 20% water changes once a week is no where near enough.

The only other fish that I would keep with discus are some tetras, corys that can tolerate the higher temperature and possibly a small Bristle Nose pleco. Angel fish can become very territorial also as they mature and are much more aggressive eaters than discus so unless you have a lot of experience with both types of fish I wouldn't attempt to keep them together.

Nitrates - get an API test kit, as for discus (juvie or adult) are to be under 10ppm

Do you have a quarantine tank? If a discus becomes ill and needs to be treated that won't be possible in a community tank, certain medications could be harmful to the other inhabitants and again treating in a tank with gravel and plants makes the job much more difficult.

I could literally go on and on but the research is up to you for the health of your discus, I've attached a link to article where you can at least find some of the basics.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111864
    Last edited by JudiJetson; 08-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    You have a good eye, Judi, to note the reflection in the glass - didn't see that.
    That was a very good commentary to give to someone who's obviously new to discus (and perhaps to fish-keeping generally), and who I hope now does some research homework - Perhaps I should show the type of patience you did, when I deal with discus questions.
    And thanks for the reference to my thread.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh wow...I wasn't able to watch the whole video at work today...oh wow
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy, Happy new year - SeaLady   Happy Birthday Kido...better late than never :-) - Taurus   Happy belated Birthday, how come nobody knew? - steeler58   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    You have a good eye, Judi, to note the reflection in the glass - didn't see that.
    That was a very good commentary to give to someone who's obviously new to discus (and perhaps to fish-keeping generally), and who I hope now does some research homework - Perhaps I should show the type of patience you did, when I deal with discus questions.
    And thanks for the reference to my thread.
    Paul, your Cardinal Rules thread is genius in it's simplicity for anyone that is considering keeping discus. I also have your Beginners Guide to Discus printed out and filed with all my research/information as I found it invaluable when I was starting out.

Patience definitely isn't one of my virtues but like everyone who has recently started this journey I found no matter how much research I did and how I attempted to do everything just right there is still a big learning curve with these fish. I never realized the amount of aggression there could be when they pair off and spawn and didn't see the problems soon enough and therefore wasn't able to act quick enough and had some failures which were difficult because I truly believe due to their personalities and the amount of time I spend with them feeding and changing water that there is a bond that forms...at least for me lol.

0 Not allowed!
    I've had the discus for at least 6 months now and like I said when I set up the bigger tank only the discus the Cory's and the tetras will be going everything else will moved and I can set up a quarantine if needed

0 Not allowed!
    And yes I do understand their juveniles if the blue becomes to aggressive I can simply trade one of the two for another which I'm probably gonna do because I want a breeding pair and both are females but if not I can create a bigger school

0 Not allowed!
    I did plenty of research before getting any of my fish if not I'm sure they would have been long gone by now and I do extensive tank cleanings such as adding fresh water almost daily as well as water changes and filter cleanouts just as often and to be honest they've done a ton better then the fish store I got them from

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast