· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default community discus aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    there is a link to my 40 gallon communtiy discus tank i know not all the fish should be together but there doing fine as of now and if i see any signs of aggression i can easily move them to another tank well i hope you enjoy them as much as i do and also if anyone could tell me the exact species of discus i own that would be great.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

1 Not allowed!
    Well I must say that is a very interesting stock you have there. What is your water change schedule like?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    i do probably a 20% water change at least every 2 weeks i usually add water at random times as well because i have a somewhat open top so water evaporates

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I was under the impression that discus require pristine water conditions, maintained by multiple water changes during the week....but I'm no expert on these fish....

I would really like to hear JudiJeton's or Sandz' opinions on this tank

It is quite an impressive assortment of fish
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks and i guess you could do multiple water changes a week but mine seem to be doing fine if i see any signs of distress i definitely would do water changes. But also when i upgrade them to a 55 i want to put my 7 inch black ghost knife in with them do you think it would bother anything like smaller tetras like neons or the red minors.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    I realize that you are not asking for advice on fish keeping but for identification, but you might want to Private Message Sandz (regarding the tank requirements and care of your africans) and Sandz and or JudiJetson regarding your discus care and acceptable tank mates for them. I'm afraid you might be heading for some heartache if you don't make some changes.

Since you asked about the BGK, NO to adding it to the 55 with smaller fish. It will see them as food. Also your BGK could grow to 14 - 16 inches. It's way too large for even a 55. A 55 is just about right for your 2 discus and a few compatible smaller fish.

I don't know who advised you on your fish selections but they really steered you wrong. You might want to google all of the species of fish you have and read their profiles ... you'll soon see why I'm concerned for both you and your fish.

I would also be concerned about the water quality for the discus. They might be okay for now but down the road you may have problems. Pristine water is the correct word when it comes to discus. They require really low nitrates - as in close to 0. What do the nitrates read in your tank?

Again, if you have specific questions we are happy to try to answer but it always helps to come armed with information so that we can better help you if you want our help.

good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

0 Not allowed!
    The bgk can go in the pond that I'm going to be setting up which will have a heater and I live in Florida so it doesn't get to cold and most of the fish seen in the video will be separated soon I'm only putting amazonian fish in the 55 when its set up which fish do you think would be troublesome besides the Lima and bichir and how do you test nitrates. And thank you for the advice

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Most of us here use the API Freshwater Master liquid test kit seen here, I highly advise you to get one soon: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks I'm gonna try and pick one up today

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    Once again, I'd find profiles for each of the types of fish you have. It will tell you what fish is compatible with what fish, how large of a tank they need, water parameter requirements, food, etc.
    Start there and then come back with your questions if you can't readily find the answers.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast