· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 10 Gal Re-home to 29 Gal

0 Not allowed!
    Day 2 of cycling the 29 gal to re-home the Gourami and Rasbora to a bigger place.

I have a concern with the tank. As can be see in the pic below, there is light scoming from the bottom of the tank onto the cabinet. My lateral file cabinet is not bowed like that. The 10Gal that used to sit in that spot was fine..which makes me believe the 29G tank frame is bowed.
    1. Will this end up effecting the integrity of the tank?
    2. If if I try use something underneath, what type of foam should I use? I understand, all the weight needs to be on the frame and right now the distribution is off.

Day 1 Ammonia:
    Last edited by Fishhook; 08-06-2014 at 02:50 AM.
    55 Gallon Native Species: Bluegill, mosquito fish, fathead minnows
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Beta, Clown Pleco

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

5 Not allowed!
    Yeah that doesn't look good. I'd drain it before something bad happens. (don't worry about the cycle). Go to lowes or home depot and get some of that green insulation foam board. I think the half inch thick stuff or something like that. Cut a piece the exact size of the tank and lay under it. Remember though, that is a much heavier tank than the ten gallon. It might do ok, but over time I'd think you'd have to move it to a more suitable stand. As for your cycle, just move everything in the ten gallon over, including your filter. Just run your ten gallon filter on the 29 in conjunction with whatever filter you have on the 29 for about a month. You'll good to go.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rob. I definitely don't won't anything to happen, especially since my office sits over my CEO's!!

With that foam, will only the frame rest on it or will part of the glass bottom be on it too?
    I was under the impression, that for framed or rimmed tanks, all the support had to be on the frame and not anything actually touching the glass underneath.

Knowing how heavy the tanks is, what size thickness of the foam board would be appropriate to accommodate the weight?

As for the transfer of the 10 transfer - should I transfer as much of the existing water over as well, and then fill the rest of the 29 up with new water?

Thanks again
    Last edited by Fishhook; 08-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    That green foam board is really stiff. I used the half inch or maybe it was 3/4 I can't remember. The frame will sit on it, it won't touch the glass. As for the transfer, just move the filter you don't need the water. But I would get the ammonia down first in the 29 gallon, make sure the PH is the same as the ten and the temperature is the same. Then you can move the filter and the fish at the same time. If there is a difference in ph or temp, acclimate the fish first before putting them in.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will do. Once i get the water down enough, to start making adjustments, I'm going to give PetSmart a call and see if I can return it just in case. I looked everywhere for the receipt last night and I couldn't find it. (might as well try while I can though)

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    I could get a level just to make sure it isn't the cabinet. I would be surprised if it was the tank that was bowed. I would think it would have cracked by now if that was the case.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just checked the level. The cabinet is level left to right. It leans a hair forward due to floor slope, but that would not make it "bow" on the top. The cabinet would have to be bowed downward in the middle for what we are seeing.

ehhh. I think the frame is that bowed.It's almost too perfect of a bow.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
    I just checked the level. The cabinet is level left to right. It leans a hair forward due to floor slope, but that would not make it "bow" on the top. The cabinet would have to be bowed downward in the middle for what we are seeing.

ehhh. I think the frame is that bowed.It's almost too perfect of a bow.
    Yeah I'd return that thing if I could then.

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Can you get a closer pic of the entire length of the bottom tank trim, head-on?

I'm betting it's the furniture top that's bowed, and not the tank...but I could very well be wrong
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    better pic. If you were to stand in front of it you would be able to see all the way through to the wall. The 10 gal sat in the same spot, center mass.