· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Can I Have a Hatchetfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Is it absolutely mandatory to have a hood with hatchetfish? I have no top, just a light and whatnot. Is it only when they see a fly or something that they'll jump?

I really liked the marbled ones but I think they're the jumpiest? Anyone have any experience with them?
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 12 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Cockatoo Apisto, 1 Crowntail Betta, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 BN Pleco

1 Not allowed!
    It's only mandatory if you want to make sure they don't jump out. Their natural reaction to "threats"is to take flight.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    They will jump. It isn't a question of if but when. I have five silver hatchets with one of those plastic hoods where the back snaps off to make space for the filter. Until I find a more permanent solution I've just covered that gap with plastic bags cause I don't want to take the risk of even the smallest gap. I think Slap had one carpet surf on him.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Default Can I Have a Hatchetfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Glass tops are great for keeping fish in the tank. The plastic back piece can be cut pretty exact for your filter. Too, they retain a lot of otherwise lost heat, as well as water that would otherwise evaporate. With canister filters, evaporation is almost non existent.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    From personal experience they don't jump that much. when mine startle they dive, just like all the other small surface dwelling fish I have. That isn't to say that they cannot. keep them in a confined space (e.g. acclimation bucket) and they will certainly try to leap their way out. Therefore, I would agree with everyone else and recommend a tight hood.

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on whether the threat is perceived to be above or below them :-)

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I think I have read in the last month or two of Sealady, Slaphpp7 having jumpers,. And compass and kevinva keep these fish too. We wil see qhat they say tommarow.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

0 Not allowed!
    I've got them too. Never had a jumper as far as I know. Floating vegetation and not cornering them is the key I think

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    They will jump, floating vegetation or not...I just witnessed another jumper this weekend, thankfully he landed on the open lid, then flipped right back into the tank

Do not get hatchets of any kind without a lid of some sort if you want to keep them for any amount of time...and don't get just one, they are more comfortable in groups, I wouldn't get less than 6
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will def wait until I get a canopy of some sort, tried a DIY plexi but the middle kept dipping into the water.

I may upgrade to a 30 or 40 one day so I'll wait for now. Make sure I have a stable aquarium and have the appropriate size. I was thinking 5 was a good number, I like odd numbers for some reason..

How much time would you guys say they spend at the top compared to the resr of the tank? I've seen videos of them swimming all over sometimes. I wanted them more for the upper level since the harlequins swim all over most of the time.
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 12 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Cockatoo Apisto, 1 Crowntail Betta, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 BN Pleco