· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    You change your water every 2 months? Holy Cow.
    GADZOOKS, I missed that part...you need to change your water more often than that, most of us here do it weekly
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3 Not allowed!
    I change 120 litres a week from my 350 litre tank. It's drained out the window directly into a water butt. I use this to water the garden and it's brilliant recycling of nutrient rich water. No fish poo is syphoned out though as it's a heavily planted tank with a grassy bottom so it all goes into the substrate.

I agree you should be changing water more often than every two months. You should be aiming for stability with your water quality so more frequent smaller changes would be better (and kinder) for your fish.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    There is some aquarium idealogies that rely on little to no water changes with plants. PPS, Walstad, and the Tom Barr non co method all work with or require few water changes. I don't really agree with them but planted tanks can change water changing needs and there is numerous people who successfully employ these methods.

1 Not allowed!
    Quite possibly, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't be without adding minerals to the water on a regular basis. I suppose it depends on the bioload and density of planting vs. what you're actually adding to the water each day (food/minerals/ferts).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    SDC12941.jpg

I will start using my water in my green house in the basement! I let my tank go do it's own thing, the only thing I do every few weeks is suck any poo build up in a corner and replace the few gallons I take out doing that. Not doing a change doesn't effect my nitrates at all, I check all my levels weekly with all reading zeros. Nitrates register every once in a while, I use 4-5 different seachem products for putting minerals back into the water. Three different frozen foods, and 3 different cobalt flake foods which I rotate everyday with a frozen every 3rd day. Cherry shrimp are thriving, cobra guppies are vibrant and having fry, platies are regularly having babies too in the one corner of the tank. Once a week I will take some aquarium salt and lightly cover the front of the sand at the bottom of the tank to give the fish back some electrolytes there too along with other minerals in the salt.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    What are your plans for the dozens and dozens of platy and guppy fry you will inevitably have?

What substrate is that, and how deep?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    That is a very lovely tank. What plant is that on the right? Or is that multiple things? I really like how it is growing around that stump.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you!

The majority of the back drop is rotalla indica, there is dwarf sage in there too, moss on the rocks is riccia, and since taking this pic a few weeks ago I've had some Christmas moss pop up... Very strange, shrimp LOVE IT!

substrate is out of my back yard, dirt is 1 1/2" deep, top is play sand which I had to wash down extremely well since its very dirty. The top sand is 1/2" deep.

As for the guppy fry I've been giving a lot of them away, others I have been raising in a different tank and selling to LFS. Platy fry have been steadily showing up, nothing like the guppies. I give the platy away too. Lately we have been putting the guppy fry in a koi pond minus the koi. Mosquitos were getting really bad in it, they cleared that up real fast!!! Another friend of mine uses some as live food too for his cichlids.

I trade now and again guppy fry with some friends of mine who have also gotten cobra guppies from Dr. foster and smith to keep new blood in the tanks. I've noticed doing this keeps some really amazing coloring in the tanks.