· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanaDigi View Post
    plant life?? Maybe some floating stuff.
    I'm a yes on some fast growing floating plants.
    1) Plants will be carrying the good bacteria you want. The more sources of good bacteria you can get the better.
    2) Fast growing plants will help take nitrogen cycle waste out of your water. They won't take care of your cycle on their own, but, hey, every little bit helps.
    3) I've never met a guppy--of any age--that didn't seem happier with plants in the tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. Should I go on the fish stores recommendation on plant life? I'm so skeptical now.

Some better starter plants would be? I'm going to search the forum now. I'm sure there's a wealth of information. :) Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    To address baxter's first statement. I do not believe plants carry the beneficial bacteria you want for nitrogen cycle. The bb you want occur naturally and grow with ammonia as food.
    Second plants help eat the end result of the cycle. And are good. A goof plant to try might be amazon swords, crypt , or anninubs.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    unless I missed it, I didn't see mention of a heater or water temp. I know that the cycle sound incomplete, and WCs should help, but I'm curious to know if you had a heater on the tank and the temp of the water. Also if the fish were even acclimated.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but will less than .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10ppm of Nitrates kill off the fish that fast?
    Last edited by Fishhook; 08-03-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    55 Gallon Native Species: Bluegill, mosquito fish, fathead minnows
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Beta, Clown Pleco

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!

This momma feels bad. No more dumb mistakes - like listening to the fish store. They told me filter running for a month would be fine. UGH.
    Do not feel bad, lots of us have been there before. It's how I personally got started in the hobby.
    Read the first few pages of the 10 gallon thread in my sig below.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

1) Plants will be carrying the good bacteria you want. The more sources of good bacteria you can get the better.
    2) Fast growing plants will help take nitrogen cycle waste out of your water. They won't take care of your cycle on their own, but, hey, every little bit helps.
    3) I've never met a guppy--of any age--that didn't seem happier with plants in the tank.

Live plants are a benefit to any tank, but they contribute little or nothing to a successful cycle, with fish or without.

Awesome. Should I go on the fish stores recommendation on plant life? I'm so skeptical now.

Some better starter plants would be? I'm going to search the forum now. I'm sure there's a wealth of information. :) Thanks!
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    To address baxter's first statement. I do not believe plants carry the beneficial bacteria you want for nitrogen cycle. The bb you want occur naturally and grow with ammonia as food.
    Second plants help eat the end result of the cycle. And are good. A goof plant to try might be amazon swords, crypt , or anninubs.
    Correct. The beneficial bacteria (BB) do occur naturally, without the aid of plants, when there exists sufficient nutrition for them

Luck for us fishkeepers, ammonia (naturally occuring or artificial) is a favorite food of the BB we need to complete the nitrogen cycle necessary to maintain a healthy environment for our fish
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

1) Plants will be carrying the good bacteria you want. The more sources of good bacteria you can get the better.my first post was in error. plants have a small amount of BB, but imo not enough to help cycle along much.
    2) Fast growing plants will help take nitrogen cycle waste out of your water. They won't take care of your cycle on their own, but, hey, every little bit helps.yes these plants will help remove Nitrates the last part of the cycle.
    I dont know about this i do not have guppys.lol

Baxter, Im sorry if i came off bad on this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
    unless I missed it, I didn't see mention of a heater or water temp. I know that the cycle sound incomplete, and WCs should help, but I'm curious to know if you had a heater on the tank and the temp of the water. Also if the fish were even acclimated. Dang 30 posts and we missed this question. So what is the temp of the tank?

Correct me if I'm mistaken but will less than .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10ppm of Nitrates kill off the fish that fast?
    http://www.oscarfish.com/water/79-is...-toxicity.html : I cant find report on ammonia yet.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355