· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Stocking Question on 8 gallon Aqueon

0 Not allowed!
    Hello ! Quick question, my little 8 gallon FOWLR which is soon to be a reef, is stocked with a very small firefish. Do you guys think I could add one more fish, such as a small goby, or if possible, another firefish so it can pair up ? How can you tell the genders apart ? For information equipment wise, it's an aqueon evolve 8 with a shallow sand bed, 12 pounds of cycled live rock, and an aquaclear 30 in the overflow. What do you guys recommend ?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    1406782111190.jpg

My firefish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AquariGod; 07-31-2014 at 04:51 AM.

3 Not allowed!
    I'm sure Cliff will chime in - he is the expert so listen to what he says not me:
    But in my opinion it will be tight. It probably can be done but plan on frequent water changes and testing water parameters frequently. Good job having lots of live rock for its size, but in an 8 gallon tank with 12lbs live rock, you probably have about 4-5 gallons of water for the fish to live in.
    I started off with a 14 gallon biocube that was handed off to me with 2 clowns and a blennie in it. Ammonia and nitrates can spike really quickly in something that small. I also had a difficult time keeping corals in that tank other than a couple mushrooms that came with it and a xenia that was starting to take over. My zoas never did well in there and I killed a frogspawn (LPS) even once I thought I really had things under control.

I learned a lot from starting with that tank and you will too. Don't get too discouraged when things don't go well. Learn from it and move on. I can't tall you how many hours Iv'e read and read various forums learning about what to do, only to make a mistake that I still hadn't heard of. I still have a lot to learn

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you ! I'm happy enough with him, it just sounded pretty cool. Maybe i'll add a shrimp, or something else that won't have any effect on the bioload.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I have to strongly disagree with the above

I would stick with a few shrimp and some snail only and rehome the fire fish. Even a clown goby need a bigger tank than that
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]