· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default stocking 55 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    I am planning on getting a 55 gallon Aqueon tank, and would like some suggestions of fish to put in it.

some fish I am considering are rainbow sharks, and Raphael catfish.

I do not want a cichlid tank.

Thanks for your input.

1 Not allowed!
    Definitely shouldn't get more than one shark.

A 55 is a nice tank to stock, but it's got limitations - mainly the 12 inches of width.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wasn't planning on getting more than one shark.

I am mainly asking suggestions, like what fish you think are cool.

Default stocking 55 gallon tank

1 Not allowed!
    Oh okay - you said sharks (plural) and I just wanted to make sure.

When I had my 55, I stocked it with giant danios, tiger barbs, Colombian tetras, zebra loaches, Bolivian rams and chanchito cichlids. It was a nice active tank - semi aggressive.

I had a 75, which is now the 90, stocked with non cichlid Africans. African knife is a really cool fish - definitely a centerpiece fish. Eventually. It's diurnal so you will see it out and about with the lights on. Eventually. Mine took several months to come out of its shell. But what it lacks in color it makes up for in coolness and activity. It's a mesmerizing fish to watch swim. With it are Congo tetras (many say are the most beautiful fish in my collection), a spotted ctenopoma, upside down catfish, a kribensis and an elephant nose that's still in quarantine. A 55 is the smallest tank I would put those fish in; I think the chances of it working well are good. Question will be whether the knife and ctenopoma get along. Right now I'm 50/50 - first ctenopoma turned out to be a mean fish. Second was good with the knife, but it jumped out one day. They aren't called climbing perches for nothing. Third (current) one is still small so it's too soon to tell how things will play out.
    Last edited by jaysee; 07-30-2014 at 03:07 AM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Great suggestions Jaysee!

I like an asian tank myself. I've always wanted a red tail shark, though know that getting one will severely limit what bottom dwellers you can have due to there bad temper. Though I have read they do well with certain loaches. Not sure on that point. For the rest of tank (if this was my tank) I'd do barbs. You can go with tiger barbs as a well kept shoal is a blast to watch. However there are several other barbs I find fascinating that you could do in addition to or in place of the tiger barbs. Checkerboard barbs, gold barbs, black ruby barbs, pentazonas, snakeskins, and cherries. Just to name a few.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I didn't mean to put down sharks. I will defiantly keep those fish in mind and do some research on them.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how many of those fish can I have? are those fish compatible with a rainbow shark?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyfish4023 View Post
    how many of those fish can I have? are those fish compatible with a rainbow shark?
    To which fish are you referring?

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    mostly the African knife fish tank idea. I don't think I will get the spotted ctenopoma, and not take a risk.

Default stocking 55 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    I would expect the African knife to coexist well with a rainbow shark. The knife isn't a bottom dweller and is not really territorial as far as hiding spots are concerned. My knife did fine with an African featherfin which is a pretty aggressive, territorial fish. All inhabitants but one did well with the featherfin. I had to get rid of it because it was beating up my bichir, which was subsequently moved to another tank for eating cono tetras. I wish I still had it and moved the bichir out instead - was quite an impressive fish, when it came out. I got the upside down cats, with which I am unimpressed, in place of it after the bichir was moved to the 125.

African butterfly is another cool fish you can add to the tank. They are related to arowanas, I have read. Not really more than a cool fish to look at - it just floats at the surface.

I would be hesitant to put a featherfin in a 55.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10