· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    You could keep one Bolivian, yes. Most people keep more, because they tend to be less aggressive/territorial than GBRs. I will agree that your shrimp might be at risk, however.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would shrimp be okay with the dwarf gourami? I really want the ram but also would like shrimp for a clean up

0 Not allowed!
    Here's where the problem comes in with having any cichlid with an Amano shrimp (or any shrimp for that matter)...

Normally, they're fine and can coexist. However, when the shrimp molts (and it will do this often, as it grows), it presents an opportunity for the cichlid to attack. The ram might not even eat the shrimp, it might just nip at it, but it'll be enough to kill it. For smaller shrimp, they'll be attacked much more often and it's not dependent on molting.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do shrimp grow decently fast there are some at my LFS that are about 1 inch. And the bolivian rams are about 2 inches right now maybe a little smaller. I could buy the shrimp
    And put them in a 5 gallon I have until they grow a little but larger

1 Not allowed!
    They grow pretty quickly. I would actually recommend you stock RCS instead of Amano shrimp, because at least your RCS will keep their own population going. Your Bolivian would likely eat several of them (more likely he'll keep to the smaller shrimp babies), but you'll always have some in the tank. If you went with an Amano, they can't procreate in fresh water. They need brackish for the eggs to hatch. So, once the Bolivian kills the Amano, you're out of luck and you'll have to start fresh.

Just be aware that your shrimp will never be safe with a cichlid in the tank, but if you start out with 20 RCS or so, you're pretty much assured a steady population which will "naturally" be culled through predatory behavior.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe I'll go ahead and do that! Will dwarf hairgrass be a safe enough spawning medium for the shrimp or should I get some java moss instead?

1 Not allowed!
    Moss is always a better medium for shrimp, but only if it's loose, since they can maneuver around in it and pretty much hide within. The only problem with loose moss, is that it's a HUGE mess. I've taken it out of all my tanks and I haven't looked back. ;P Tied down, it makes a good medium, but it doesn't exactly offer any good hiding spots, until it grows out.

I would actually recommend shrimp caves, if you can manage it (the smaller the better, because RCS are very small and they'll need to hide in places where the Bolivian can't get). Any driftwood you have with nooks/crannies would be good, as well. They'll hide in any crevice they can find. Otherwise, the dwarf hairgrass is pretty good, because it's relatively thick foliage, but the Bolivian will be able to pick them off in that.

Have any pics of your tank?

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Yes I do tere is a pick of my drift wood and what it looks like now fully planted image.jpgimage.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    That won't necessarily have any crevices/nooks/crannies, per se, but I do see plenty of places where they'll be able to hide. I was thinking of malaysian or mopani driftwood, which would have cracks/holes throughout, if you know what I mean. A thick piece of wood full of imperfections. You could even make a DIY shrimp cave with a coconut shell half. Usually, they're used for fish caves, but you could drill small holes where only the RCS could gain access. Would work with walnut shells, too, now that I'm thinking about it. You could find a small piece of malaysian driftwood, too. If/when the dwarf hairgrass grows in and creates a thick matt around the substrate, you should be pretty well off around the base of your current driftwood.

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    awesome I may have a like on 20 RCS for $20 so maybe I'm the front left corner ill place some sort of hide for them
    To go into