· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you, I will start changing the water every week. :]

In total, I have only 9 including the pleco if it was in there right now. The other ones I have in the tank are 3 neon tetras, 3 black tetras, a albino catfish, and a dwarf green spotted puffer.
    I also have live plants in my 40 gallon, though I don't know what kind they are.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

1 Not allowed!
    No problem. Thank you for being as open to help as you are. Many aren't. lol It seems to me that your bioload is pretty underwhelming, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'd still recommend adding an additional filter to the tank. We typically suggest doubling up your filtration. So, for instance, you have a 40gal tank. We would suggest filtering for an 80gal tank, so you have more water turnover, which means more of your water is filtered/cleaned every hour. This ensures optimal biological bacteria colonies, as well.

So, here's my suggestion:

1. Add a 2nd 30-40gal filter to the tank, on the opposite side from where your original filter is. If your current filter is on the left side, add it to the right. This will ensure that all areas of the tank are getting equal treatment in filtration, hopefully eliminating dead spots.

2. Start changing 50% of your tank's water once per week.

I think you'll notice a big change in your fish's behavior and you'll be surprised at how cathartic fresh water can be for injured/sick fish.

Something else to consider is adding to your existing schools. If you have 3 neons, you could comfortably add another 7-10 to this tank, comfortably. The same holds true for the black tetras. What kind of albino catfish do you have? Is that an Albino Cory?

I wouldn't add fish until you've taken care of the first two steps, but those are just my suggestions for making a happier community tank. =] The tetras will really appreciate the added fish to their schools and will likely become much more active/showy. If you have an Albino cory, I'd add to that group, as well. You could comfortably add another 11 to this tank.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, and I almost forgot. Go pick up an API Master Test Kit from your LFS (or Amazon). That's one of the best investments you can make in fishkeeping.

This is it: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.