· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 140 gal stocking SA and filtration

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I'm going to buy myself a 140 gal tank maybe a 190 gal depending on what sells on my countries Craigslist. But i would plan for the smaller one, and if i get the 190 one i can always come back to ask advice on that one :D

The dimensions of the 140 gal would be, 59x23x23 inch.
    The filter i have not finished out, the problem is i need to buy a brand new pump for the tank, so im trying to figure out a cheap good filtration, the Fluval FX 5/6 is to expensive, so i would like some advice here, it will be a canister filter no matter what to get a low maintenance filter.

The stock is going to be restricted to South American.
    I would preferably like oscars but i have searched information for a few years now trying to figure out what sort of equipment ill need but not gotten anywere so ill wait until i can afford a monster tank like a 350-400 gal tank until oscars are an option.
    So then i have looked around on south american cichlids, and another favorite of mine are Heros severus.

So the list so far would be
    x Severums
    1 Super wide Ancistrus. "(A keeper from my 50 gal i got, hes one i can keep in my smaller tank for a few weeks while i setup the new tank)

And thats how far i have gotten.

I currently have some Angels and Festivums in my 50 gal but i have no were to store them while i wait to get the 140 gal. But if possible i would like at least the Festivum cichlids in the stock list.

The tank is several months away from being bought i just want to plan so i know when it's time to sell my 2 largest tanks to make room for the new one, (small apartment sucks) I don't want to go from 4 tanks to 2 tanks too long so i want to be able to sell them when i have enough savings to buy the tank the filter and fish. Thats also why the 190 gal is an option normaly it's about twice the price of a 140 but most of you know that every now and then an amazing deals comes.
    The most important thing right now is the filter, to be able to see what the total cost would be. Yeah money is an issue for me.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    fluval fx5s are low maintenance and fairly cheap ($200). they are great filters for larger tanks. I would also add an aquaclear 110 or two. have you ever thought about a sump for a tank that size?
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

If you are handy with DIY projects, you can set-up a sump that will provide more filtration than two FX5s for the price of one. That would also be less maintenance if you set it up correctly
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Getting a sump ready is quite expensive here, but a canister filter is good since you might need to clean it once a month while an internal filter you need to clean 2-3 times a week depending on fish load, I know my nano tank i need to clean it's filter about every other day or i lose all flow,

You have really cheap FX 5/6, the FX 5 from the few stores that still have a few sells them for about 350$ and the FX 6 about 380$
    And sure the FX5 is a great filter but it's very expensive sure not as much as an eheim canister. I checked the diffrent aquarium online stores in my country, and i can get a Sunsun filter thats rated for a tank of no more then 900 liters, the tank im planning is a 540 litre tank. The price tag for this one is just about 120$ The large drawback is that it's half the size of the FX5 but almost 3x cheaper. I know i ran a 375 litre tank with 15 angels and a large gibbi on a fluval 406 filter, that filter is rated for a tank of 400 litre.
    The sunsun filter does messure with the tumb rule of 2-3 times the flow of the aquarium size, the FX5 would give almost 4 times the flow,
    The sunsun filter im speaking of is SunSun HW-304A, the only problem is that i can't find a review about it so im sceptical on how good it is, i wouldn't buy a fluval FX 5 unless i found a review telling me it's up and down sides.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's going to be a sunsun HW-304a filter. 2000l/h (530G/H)
    Now lets move on to stock, As stated above the 2 fishes that will enter the tank is Severums and the ancistrus ill keep from my large tank i currently have.

Default 140 gal stocking SA and filtration

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 sunsuns - I like them very much. The UV is worthless though since the flow rate is too fast and the bulb is too small and weak. But still an excellent cost effective solution. On the one 125 I run a sunsun 304 and an XP4 - the other 125 has a 302, 303 and an XP3. 90 gallon has a 304 and an XP3, though I will be swapping the 304 for the 303 next time I clean the filters, which is about every 6-9 months.

You'll want way more than 2-3x total turnover for the fish you are looking at. Multiple filters is definitely in order here.

The only thing I don't like about the sunsuns is that the media baskets and spraybar/intake pieces are cheap. They give you more than you need for the plumbing pieces though, so if you break one it's no big deal. If you break an important piece, the seller (eBay) will send out a replacement at no cost, in my experience. You have to be careful with the media baskets - slow and steady removing them from the filter. Too, you will need to buy media for the filter.....even if you get one that already "comes with media".

One of my favorite things about the filter, aside from the price and the volume of media it holds, is the built in surface skimmer. They give it a stupid name like the dirtiness collector or something. Check the pictures, because while they all have the ability to use it, not all come with the piece.
    Last edited by jaysee; 07-28-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graubs View Post
    Getting a sump ready is quite expensive here, but a canister filter is good since you might need to clean it once a month while an internal filter you need to clean 2-3 times a week depending on fish load, I know my nano tank i need to clean it's filter about every other day or i lose all flow.
    A sump is a lot different than a internal filter set-up. On both of my set-ups, I only spend about 30 minutes each month on routine maintenance for them. If you use used aquariums to build them, they are very cheap to make

You should do fine with the Sunsun filters. Many people here use them and like them a lot
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]