Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Default What should I get to replace old media? (C-160)


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi! This is my first post on this forum, and I hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by asking this question. I'm a relatively new hobbyist, and I plan to raise my fishes in a safe environment, prior to buying them of course! First order, I just received a new 29 gallon tank as well as a Marineland C-160 canister filter from my friend as he has retired these resources, and I decided I might as well take them off of his hands. I've read up a ton on them (sorta), and I've seen quite a bit of mentions in regards to the media and it's quality. Let's just say in this situation, the filter came with no media. Just the filter itself, the hoses, and the baskets. What would I need to purchase in order to have it working efficiently as if I just bought it? I understand I could repurchase all of the retail media that usually comes with it, but I hear that there are better and cheaper alternatives, I'm just not sure what is actually required and what is just overkill (possible?)

    I have yet to cycle my tank, but I plan to have all necessary resources before I start anything. Please keep in my mind I am trying to work on a economically efficient budget when purchasing the media. Also, if it is cheaper to buy another filter, then please let me know! I realize that I am considered an amateur, and I plan to do my best to learn a lot before I put my fishes into the tank.

  2. #2

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    I would suggest using as much biological filter media as possible (like bio-max) and a sponge (for mechanical filtration) help keep crud out from the biological filter media

    Have you read up on cycling a aquarium without fish yet, otherwise known as a fishless cycle.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southeast texas
    Posts
    1,798

    Awards Showcase

    Cheers to a fellow SE Texan! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry about your pup - SeaLady For your loss - steeler58 You need a Cory! - SeaLady 
    Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos 
    Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff is right. On C 160 you will have three trays, bottom for sponge. Mid uses plastic bio balls, remove plastic balls and add biomax, top tray is cremaic tubes here is a question how old is filter media in filter? If prety new rinse top tray cremaic media in declornated water, its good to go. Get two new sponge packs for bottom tray. One to use and spare. And like Cliff said biomax to replace the plastic balls. Also c160 has ploish pad on top tray.totalcost of new parts 30$. Should be able to get at local fish storeor petco or pet smart. And marineland has good video on how to set it up on there web site.

    I have simmlar filter C220.. they use same filter parts just c220 has more.
    Last edited by cm12setx; 07-27-2014 at 03:55 AM.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southeast texas
    Posts
    1,798

    Awards Showcase

    Cheers to a fellow SE Texan! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry about your pup - SeaLady For your loss - steeler58 You need a Cory! - SeaLady 
    Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos 
    Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    If no media came in top tray use more biomax, i forgot that part of you orignal post.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

  5. #5

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    All my canisters are set up the same - fluval ceramic prefilters in the bottom tray. They catch large particles while not impeding water flow. Next basket has the sponges, and every basket thereafter has biomax. I'm pretty impressed with the ceramic prefilters - they keep the sponges from getting prematurely clogged.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

    QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I would suggest using as much biological filter media as possible (like bio-max) and a sponge (for mechanical filtration) help keep crud out from the biological filter media

    Have you read up on cycling a aquarium without fish yet, otherwise known as a fishless cycle.
    Yes I have! I've read quite a bit and I plan to start the fishless cycle as soon as I get the proper media for my filtration system. Also, since we're on that topic, when I start the cycle, should I setup the tank how I'd like it first? or am I able to modify it (adding live plants, rocks and/or decorations) later on? In my head at this point, I'm guessing there should be a filtration system setup, substrate, and lighting prior to starting the cycle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    Cliff is right. On C 160 you will have three trays, bottom for sponge. Mid uses plastic bio balls, remove plastic balls and add biomax, top tray is cremaic tubes here is a question how old is filter media in filter? If prety new rinse top tray cremaic media in declornated water, its good to go. Get two new sponge packs for bottom tray. One to use and spare. And like Cliff said biomax to replace the plastic balls. Also c160 has ploish pad on top tray.totalcost of new parts 30$. Should be able to get at local fish storeor petco or pet smart. And marineland has good video on how to set it up on there web site.

    I have simmlar filter C220.. they use same filter parts just c220 has more.
    Well I've received less media than it originally came with, let's just say that. It came with the Mid-tray plastic bio balls, which I'll probably replace with BioMax. No ceramic tubes, so I suppose more BioMax wouldn't hurt. It also only came with one sponge, seems to be in great condition, but since packs of sponges only come in two, I'll just replace it all together. I'd also have to get polish pads as well. Lastly, if I were to buy BioMax, should I get the Hagen of Fluval as those are the only two I see. Also, how full should I fill each basket/tray with BioMax? Thanks for your input!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    All my canisters are set up the same - fluval ceramic prefilters in the bottom tray. They catch large particles while not impeding water flow. Next basket has the sponges, and every basket thereafter has biomax. I'm pretty impressed with the ceramic prefilters - they keep the sponges from getting prematurely clogged.
    Sounds great! I'll probably mimic your setup for mine.
    Last edited by Dervie; 07-27-2014 at 04:24 PM.

  7. #7

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervie View Post
    Yes I have! I've read quite a bit and I plan to start the fishless cycle as soon as I get the proper media for my filtration system. Also, since we're on that topic, when I start the cycle, should I setup the tank how I'd like it first? or am I able to modify it (adding live plants, rocks and/or decorations) later on? In my head at this point, I'm guessing there should be a filtration system setup, substrate, and lighting prior to starting the cycle. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You can make changes along the way when completing a fishless cycle. You just should not clean your filter until your tank has been fully cycled for a while. You really do not need a light to cycle a tank (unless you have live plants). And seeing as practically all the BB you will need is in the filter media, you can cycle without substrate was well. I originally cycled my 90 gallon without a light or substrate in the tank. I added those later
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You can make changes along the way when completing a fishless cycle. You just should not clean your filter until your tank has been fully cycled for a while. You really do not need a light to cycle a tank (unless you have live plants). And seeing as practically all the BB you will need is in the filter media, you can cycle without substrate was well. I originally cycled my 90 gallon without a light or substrate in the tank. I added those later
    Awesome, that helps since it gives me time to look up certain things as I do my cycle. On the note of plants, is it okay if I use fake plants for the early stages of my aquarium and then introduce live plants later on? Is there a certain process when introducing live plants to the environment?

  9. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You can make changes along the way when completing a fishless cycle. You just should not clean your filter until your tank has been fully cycled for a while. You really do not need a light to cycle a tank (unless you have live plants). And seeing as practically all the BB you will need is in the filter media, you can cycle without substrate was well. I originally cycled my 90 gallon without a light or substrate in the tank. I added those later
    Awesome, that helps since it gives me time to look up certain things as I do my cycle. On the note of plants, is it okay if I use fake plants for the early stages of my aquarium and then introduce live plants later on? Is there a certain process when introducing live plants to the environment?
    Last edited by Dervie; 07-27-2014 at 04:54 PM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southeast texas
    Posts
    1,798

    Awards Showcase

    Cheers to a fellow SE Texan! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry about your pup - SeaLady For your loss - steeler58 You need a Cory! - SeaLady 
    Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos 
    Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    No problem on fake plants. Then moving to live plants later.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •