· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question 40B - housed reptiles - ok for fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so you guys/girls have convinced me that I need to upgrade to a 40B (it didn't take much, ha). So, someone is selling a 40B and stand on craigslist for $200. Problem is, it previously housed reptiles. Does that matter?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

2 Not allowed!
    it can be a problem. some people believe that its because of disease but its not if it was used to house reptiles then it might not have been built for an aquarium... that means the glass might just break under the weight of the water.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I would be concerned that they would have used soap with it a lot when housing their reptile, in which case it wouldn't be safe for fish. I know that I used soap and other chemicals to clean my Bearded Dragon's tank all the time.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    hmm, that's a good point about the glass. i'd have to look into it and see if the seller knows what kind of tank it was originally to be used for. i'm really only comfortable buying Aqueon tanks. IMO, they are a great quality.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

2 Not allowed!
    the thing with glass is its inert so even if they used soaps on it i wouldnt worry much. defiantly needs a good scrubbing with vinegar, ammonia and or bleach....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Give it a good cleaning, and make 100% sure it can hold water before you ever even pull your money out for them.
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

Default 40B - housed reptiles - ok for fish?

2 Not allowed!
    I don't think that's a good deal. I bought one of my 125s (tank, stand and light) for 300, and my 90 (complete setup) for 225. I would offer $125 (actually 100 but I think that might be a joke to the seller. As much of a joke as $200...)
    Last edited by jaysee; 08-18-2014 at 01:46 AM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

2 Not allowed!
    I agree with both Jaysee and Genocidex. Reptile tanks that weren't meant to hold water may have been built with thinner glass, and either way, 200 for a 40 gallon and stand isn't that much of a deal anyways. Keep looking and you'll soon find something better.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually ended up getting a free standard 30g tank 2 weeks ago. Just found a really nice oak stand for $50 (gonna try to talk him down to $40). Just gotta figure out it I want to do another low tech tank or if I want to take a stab at CO2 and place an order for equipment. EEK!!!
    50g - planted, no fishies yet
    29g - planted w/Emperor & Cardinal Tetra and Ottos
    10g - planted w/male aqua-mustard gas Dragon Halfmoon Betta
    10g - planted w/male purple-maroon Dumbo Dragon Halfmoon Betta

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You know what they say, go big or go home! Haha
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.