· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question currently have 29g, should i upgrade to a 40B

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Folks,

So, I currently have a 29g low-tech tank, and I've been thinking about upgrading to a 40B. Am I insane? I have a decent amount of money sunk into my 29g and it's been set up for less than 6 months. Plants and fish are flourishing. But I've got that "itch" to get a bigger tank. Bigger tank = more plants and fish , that's the upside. The downside, I'll have to buy all new equipment, cycle a new tank, acclimate fish and plants, you know the drill. Should I go messing with a good thing, or just enjoy my flourishing tank for a little longer? If I had room for both tanks I wouldn't even hesitate to get a 40B, sadly I do not.

Thanks!

1 Not allowed!
    OMG...you've come to the right place for help as we are BIG enablers here. It's ok....you're not insane...go satisfy that itch and we'll gladly guide you though the process as the same thing has happened to many of us here.

Of course I'm kidding....lol...what type of fish are you thinking of keeping in your NEW, BIGGER, BETTER 40B?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ha! I had a feeling nobody would discourage me. Hehe! Well, I currently have 8 emperor tetra and 11 cardinal tetra. Not sure what would be a good with those guys, but I love me some pearl gouramis. I like all fish to be honest. I just want them to all coexist peacefully (as much as possible), so I'm open to suggestions.
    50g - planted, no fishies yet
    29g - planted w/Emperor & Cardinal Tetra and Ottos
    10g - planted w/male aqua-mustard gas Dragon Halfmoon Betta
    10g - planted w/male purple-maroon Dumbo Dragon Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Great, you could add pearl gourami or a dwarf cichlid like bolivian rams or krebensis. You could also grow your current shoals of cardinals and emperor tetra or add another shoal of tetra or rasbora. Lots of possibilities with a 40B.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    You wouldn't need to cycle it, you could use the existing media for a seeded kickstart.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes the possibilities seem overwhelming. It's so hard for me to make a choice, and it doesn't help that my pH is around 7.6-7.8. Making my shoals bigger is sounding like the way to go. Would be cool to have more of the little guys. They'd probably appreciate more of their kind.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So just did some searching and found some tetra that might work. Gold Pristella Tetra, X-ray Pristella Tetra or Splashing Tetra (my fave of the 3).

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarrot View Post
    So just did some searching and found some tetra that might work. Gold Pristella Tetra, X-ray Pristella Tetra or Splashing Tetra (my fave of the 3).
    I have 9 gold pristellas (the gold color morph of the x-ray pristella) in my 75 gal. Just so you know, they are very shy fish and not an active species. If there are active or boisterous fish in the tank, the pristellas will hide. I love mine, but as they cross the fishy rainbow bridge, they will not be replaced.

And the 40B is a great size tank. I say go for it!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info on the pristellas, gronlaura! I'd have to say my cardinal tetra are pretty shy. They swim to the back of the tank when I approach. The emperor tetra actually swim over to check me out. I think they think they're about to get fed. I wouldn't say either are a very boisterous fish, and my tank is in a pretty low-traffic area, so they might be OK. I have a feeling they might be hard to find in my area though. I've never even heard of them before today.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarrot View Post
    Thanks for the info on the pristellas, gronlaura! I'd have to say my cardinal tetra are pretty shy. They swim to the back of the tank when I approach. The emperor tetra actually swim over to check me out. I think they think they're about to get fed. I wouldn't say either are a very boisterous fish, and my tank is in a pretty low-traffic area, so they might be OK. I have a feeling they might be hard to find in my area though. I've never even heard of them before today.
    They are shy, even when the tank is quiet. My new Diamond Tetras in the 29 gal are very outgoing and confident and would do really well in a 40B. You would need a school of at least 9.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 07-24-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"