· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cycle working backwards?

0 Not allowed!
    This has been incredibly frustrating. Convinced by pet store using API Quick start would start this process. I did daily water changes through bacteria bloom. Then did no water changes for a week. On July 3rd, which is 5 weeks into this process, I checked the water and found 0 ammonia and some nitrites. I don't know precisely how many but my API tester was purple. I began daily water changes for 2 weeks. After that I did every other day water changes for another week. I have tested purple for nitrites every day since July 3. I have tested yellow or 0 ammonia ever since. Today I test and still have nitrites and now have a touch of green on tester indicating roughly .25 ammonia. I barely feed these fish. It is a 16 gallon with a leopard danio and 4 cory catfish. Our Apistigramma Caucotoides was pulled and placed in a hospital tank, where she died. I am so confused. It has been 8 weeks now and after 3 weeks of nitrites suddenly ammonia shows up. Any explanations?

Awards Showcase

A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    It is hard to tell with cycles. In my opinion at least. Cycling with fish is probably one of the hardest and frustrating things one can do in this hobby. It is a catch 22. The copious amount of waterchanges keeps the ammonia levels down to nil which takes away the food the bacteria need. But if you don't do it, you lose your fish. I have heard of a fish in cycle taking 6 months! I am surprised you have gotten as far as you have. Those high nitrites should have killed your fish. Especially the cories. Have you measured any nitrates at all? It is also very possible that this cycle has restarted itself. You could have had just enough bacteria to take care of the ammonia but not enough to sustain. This might have led to a crash in the bacteria colony leading to the ammonia building back up and no bacteria to eat it. My best advice would be to take the fish to the LFS and start over with a fishless cycle. Instruction are located in the beginner section under Cycling. I know that seems like taking a huge step back, but it is the best step to move forward, faster.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    You could also see if you can get some already seeded media for your filter from another hobbyist if you know one in your area or from a LFS if that's what you have, rather than a big box store. Just keep it wet when transporting it back home.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Strange thing happened today. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates. Did a small water change after my initial post. Checked ammonia next day and none were present. Nitrites were still present . 2 days ago nitrites looked to be less purple and I had roughly 20 nitrates. Then today 0/0/10. Does this sound cycled?

1 Not allowed!
    It certainly sounds like it

Keep testing every day for another 5 days (or so) just to make sure. Your test results over the next few days will confirm if you are cycled or not
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]