· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fish gazer View Post
    I'll have to think about upgrading my tank if I start thinking about any more corys! I wouldn't feel comfortable honestly with a 30" x 12" tank, 5 is at my max comfort zone.

But another question, is the waste control really not needed? I thought maybe it wouldn't be needed in planted tanks because they will use alot of the waste at the bottom and since I don't have any plants, there could be waste buildup that the filter doesn't get to, and it would help dissolve it?
    Before I had planted tanks, I vacuumed my tanks weekly - deep vacs - to pull up the mulm and poo and any rotting food from the bottom. I tried to only vac half of the tank each week so that I wouldn't disturb too much BB

I don't vac my planted tanks now because, as you said, the plants use the waste for ferts.
    My 90 gal is partially planted - much of it in pots and attached to the driftwood so I continue to vac the gravel weekly there

You'll know if you're not picking up enough waste because you're nitrates will go up.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh ok, thank you, my nitrates are always less than 5 and and don't see very much waste or anything visible on the sand either. Can't wait to get the corys and set up a second filter, I'll alternate between cleaning them. Going to buy maybe a smaller sponge (So it doesn't clog up the floss too fast?), some bags of polyester filling to add to the second filter, and add 2 or 3 bio max bags in it. I'll keep the sponge, carbon, and biomax going in the first one. I think my tank is going to finally stabilize now.
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Cockatoo Apisto, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I'm actually going to go with the aquaclear 110. I did some research and my 70 does 70g at max flow rate and 40g at minimal. Which is about 10g more at it's slowest but a slower rate clears water better. And the 110 will hold more media that I want and ranges from 60g/h-100g/h and if I ever want to upgrade, I'll have decent sized filters running.

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Cockatoo Apisto, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

2 Not allowed!
    I'd rethink that if I were you. An AC110 has a flow rate of 500 gph. IMHO, that's way over kill for a 29 gallon tank. I've had an AC70 on a 29 gallon before and it's more than enough at 300 gph. Just a thought. Also in the AC70 if you don't run with the carbon insert you can double up on the biomax for s really stable biofilter.
    Last edited by Taurus; 07-24-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Default Don't Want to Lose All My Good Bacteria!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I'd rethink that if I were you. An AC110 has a flow rate of 500 gph. IMHO, that's way over kill for a 29 gallon tank. I've had an AC70 on a 29 gallon before and it's more than enough at 300 gph. Just a thought. Also in the AC70 if you don't run with the carbon insert you can double up on the biomax for s really stable biofilter.
    Agreed on all counts.

An ac110 could work on a 29, stuffed full of media and set on the lowest flow setting.... but like was said it's way overkill. Shame on whoever stocks a 29 and needs the volume of media of the 110.
    Last edited by jaysee; 07-24-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thought added bacteria space would be good? I just wanted 2 filters so that I can alternate between cleaning the filters so that I don't disrupt any good bacteria. I'll probably get a smaller one to add.

2 Not allowed!
    It is good but the law of diminishing returns applies - there's a point at which the extra media space doesn't do more than stretch the time between filter cleanings.

Honestly, you're making this much more difficult than it has to be. There's no need to worry about losing your bacteria - it's by far the most resilient things you'll have living in your tank. It just doesn't go *poof*. An established aquarium is not a house of cards waiting to come crashing down - they are all but bulletproof. It's good to be mindful of the bacteria when the tank is new - IMO cleanings for the first several months should be no more than quick rinses....if that. Granted, if you have a planted tank you may have to clean more frequently if there is a lot of plant debris being sucked up. But even then, you don't have to do much more than clean off the debris.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If you are really hankering for the 110 for the media space, go ahead and get one, but swap out the impeller for a 70's...there is a thread here on AC that mentions that the AC impellers are interchangeable for some sizes (you'll have to double check if the 110 will take a 70's) but then you would have the peace of mind of the bigger housing for media, but not have too much flow.

Having said that, an AC70 will be fine for your 29 - I have one running on my 20gal and its almost too much.
    20gal long planted community

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ya, I get what you mean. I guess with all my excessive cleanings since I got the tank and all the mistakes, I'm freaking out about good bacteria. I feel like something always falls apart and I 'm trying so hard to make sure everything's perfect. I need to learn to just relax with it a bit, lol.

Default Don't Want to Lose All My Good Bacteria!

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I think the biggest mistake people make is that they get too involved and try too hard. It can be quite counterproductive...especially over cleaning. Let nature do what she does - in a new tank "cleaning" should be limited to water changes, vacuums and wiping the glass. I don't think it's wise to touch the filter for the first 3 months.

I know the smaller 20, 30 and 50 all share the same size impeller, but I don't know if the 70 and 110 are interchangeable. There is as big of a leap from the 70 to the 110 as there is from the 50 to the 70.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10