· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a uv steriliser, but don't presently use it. When I did run it, I did not run it for any reason but improving the redox, not for filtering or killing algae.
    20gal long planted community

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, It's like a really tight fit around the bulb casing I think, it was even hard to get the sponge back in while it was wet. It's an Aquatop SP5-UV (claims to be a sterilizer, but nowhere close to it if you research how it all works). I might have to return it, not sure yet. It did the job but now that I'm not using it, it seems a little useless and taking up space for nothing, except for the little added filtration and the jet that it provides.

I've had it for 2 weeks now. Didn't even think about removing the bulb while it's not in use. I think it's more the sleeve that would get dirty with mineral build-up? That's what I've read about that I need to keep clean and the bulb I think just needs to be replaced 6-12 months or so.

I'm a little hesitant to try and take the sleeve off. I think the lfs guy sold me a second hand unit. He said to never touch the bulb or sleeve because if I start messing with it, that's when I will have problems. He said he had one for 2 years, only cleans the sponge, and it still works for him. I don't think he knows what he's saying or is just lying to me. Do you think adding the floss stuff or something similar will remove my need for the uv clarifier? It was to remove cloudy water, I had so many issues during that time, I couldn't figure out the cause, just wanted it gone.
    Last edited by fish gazer; 07-24-2014 at 01:17 AM.
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I add another Aquaclear with floss and bio max bags for the added bacteria, should I get a 70 model or is that going to be overkill for my 29g? Should I get a smaller model since it's mainly for polishing/bacteria? And do you have any suggestiongs for the best type of media for polishing?

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    A 70 is more than you need but you can never have too much filtration. The concern would be if it creates too much current for your fish. I'm thinking it probably wouldn't but if that's a concern for you, you could sure get by with a smaller second filter.

Oh - and the reason you have cloudy water sometimes? It's most likely because of all the cleaning you've been doing :o) You've probably been killing off some of your BB colony and the cloudy water is the result of a bacterial bloom as new BB grows to replace what died off. I don't think you'll see that any more if you cut back on the cleaning as has been suggested.

If you could, you might also want to up your school of peppered cory by at least 3. Cory love a school and are more active in larger numbers.
    Don't you love your Harleys? I have a dozen in my 30 and really enjoy them.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-24-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking if I had a AC 70, I would leave it on the lower flow rate so it pours slower into the aquarium and the added break in the water would be great!

And I think you're right, I've been cleaning my stuff like crazy every week and I messed up on so many things in the first months, I overfed, probably put extra additives when I dosed, like bio-enhancer, conditioner, and waste control. Because I always had cloudy water I stopped using the waste control and the bio enhancer, thought I was maybe adding too many things to the tank. I only used the bio enhancer for the last 3 days to get back the good bacteria. Should I use it at every water change or filter maintenance? And is the Fluval waste control actually needed? I really don't want to "baby" the tank anymore.

I was actually thinking of adding 2 more corys to make it 5, I just don't have much floor space and thought any more than 3 would be too much. Especially if any of them are females. I think they get 2.5" each

I do love the harlequins, can I ask you, is it normal that they sort of look a little grey near the top of their back? I hope it's not a fungus growing! Or are they supposed to be perfectly bronze/orangey colour? I am treating them with Melafix and Pimafix for a few days since I just got them, I had another batch and they looked like that, turned grey and some started getting white gunk on them, couldn't save them.
    Last edited by fish gazer; 07-24-2014 at 02:32 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a pic of my tank to show you the floorspace.

photo(5).JPG

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    You've got plenty of floor space. They'll love tucking in under that driftwood. Gorgeous driftwood!

As for the harleys, the orange and black doesn't completely circle their bodies. their backs are a bit gray.
    Unless you see bumps or lifted fins or white gunk as you said, i don't think I'd be concerned about for the rest of them.
    But since you did lose some, a photo or short video of them would be great to help us see if t here is a problem. If that's not a possibility, I'd google them and look at as many photos as you can find to see if your harleys look any different than the ones pictured. If you've only recently got them, they will lose their color for a while but color up when they get more comfortable.
    Pimafix and melifix is fine to treat them if they do have a fungus but I'm told that Paraguard is the best. In the meantime, IF they do have fungus, daily large water changes would also be advisable. Best, to make certain, however, that they actually do have a fungus rather than treat unnecessarily.

I agree with Shemarua that you don't need all those other additives. A good water conditioner is all you need unless you have plants and then you may have to dose some ferts. Prime is all I use.
    E
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I'm going to look into getting 2 more corys this weekend.

I didn't get to take a pic of the harlequins but when I do google them, it's like some pics are so perfectly coloured and then some actually have the greyish colour on their back. Maybe the ones with the white stuff was a separate thing. But all the fish turned pretty black, like a thin thin layer of black on them and since the harlequins died first I thought maybe the 'greying' was a sign of it starting.

I only had pimafix and melafix on hand so I decided to treat the new fish for a few days with that, they don't show any signs of illness since I got them and they have all their colours, but I did get paraguard because I've heard good things about it, so maybe when I add the 2 new corys I'll use that with them instead as a precaution.

I use the Fluval Total Protection Conditioner.
    Last edited by fish gazer; 07-24-2014 at 03:31 PM.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I'd still go for 3 more cories - you could even do 8 :o)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll have to think about upgrading my tank if I start thinking about any more corys! I wouldn't feel comfortable honestly with a 30" x 12" tank, 5 is at my max comfort zone.

But another question, is the waste control really not needed? I thought maybe it wouldn't be needed in planted tanks because they will use alot of the waste at the bottom and since I don't have any plants, there could be waste buildup that the filter doesn't get to, and it would help dissolve it?