· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Problem Growing Plants

0 Not allowed!
    Recently, I lost half of my Jungle Val and Dwarf Sag due to melting. Plus, a couple of Red Ludwigia and Moneywort plants. The plants were new purchases, one month old, rinsed, planted and dosed with Flourish Excel. They received 8 hours sunlight, gravel substrate. One potential problem; my tap water is hard alkaline. PH 8.4, GH 150, KH 180, Nitrate .10, Nitrite .5, Chlorine 0. This tank developed brown algae which I removed.

Another plant tank gets indirect sunlight, same gravel substrate and water conditions. However, these plants are doing much better, greening up and growing. Maybe it was too much direct sunlight or the brown algae outbreak in the first tank. And, perhaps the hard alkalinity of my water. Any feedback is appreciated. I might decide to change out my gravel for natural sand, plant substrate like Eco-Complete and balancing a PH closer to 7.0.

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Don't worry about the ph. I'm curious though about your parameters. Nitrate .10 and Nitrite .5? What about Ammonia? Nitrites should be zero unless this tank isn't finished cycling. Are there any fish in the tank yet?

As for the plant, I can't speak for all those but I know Jungle Val doesn't fair well with CO2. Even liquid CO2. So what you dosed to help grow the plants could very well have been what put them under. Though I don't know if this holds true for your other plants.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates should not be 0 in a planted tank, nitrogen is a macro nutrients of plants. Seems backwards but plants got to eat to.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Compass is right Val's don't handle excel well, excel is essentially glutehydrate (spelling?) which is a medical grade sterilant. Val's should handle normal co2 though.

1 Not allowed!
    Note about glutehydrate, it is only a medical sterilant when it is mixed with an additive (activator) by itself (metricide 14) it is pretty much harmless if dosed properly

However, inconsistent dosing messes up sensitive plants pretty bad IMO

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    With hard water like that, plants should thrive... What spectrum of light and watts, and tank size?

If the other tank is doing better and the only difference is the light then that leads me tk think you have the wrong ligbt for the tank.

As for the vals being sensitive to the excel... Ime as long as you are consistant and dont over dose they are fine. But the recimmended dose is the max for those guys...

0 Not allowed!
    Or with some brands it's more than the max.

Wondering.. temperature fluctuations on the one tank?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Don't worry about the ph. I'm curious though about your parameters. Nitrate .10 and Nitrite .5? What about Ammonia? Nitrites should be zero unless this tank isn't finished cycling. Are there any fish in the tank yet?

As for the plant, I can't speak for all those but I know Jungle Val doesn't fair well with CO2. Even liquid CO2. So what you dosed to help grow the plants could very well have been what put them under. Though I don't know if this holds true for your other plants.
    There are no fish in the aquarium. The parameters given were taken from direct tap drawn water just for a reference to my water parameters. However, I draw 20 to 30 gallons of water and let it sit for several days before testing and using for water changes. The parameters for my tank is: Nitrate, Nitrites and Ammonia is zero. PH: 7.8, GH: 150 and KH: 180. Thanks for replying.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    With hard water like that, plants should thrive... What spectrum of light and watts, and tank size?

If the other tank is doing better and the only difference is the light then that leads me tk think you have the wrong ligbt for the tank.

As for the vals being sensitive to the excel... Ime as long as you are consistant and dont over dose they are fine. But the recimmended dose is the max for those guys...
    ii
    I also suspected the excess direct light first and possibly Excel due to varying opinions. Too, direct sunlight will cause an increase in the water temperature during that time. I am not using any special lighting for either tank. Yes, the other tank with plants is doing just fine, even with the Excel additive. A spike in humidity and temps last month here on the MS gulf coast did not help but now the temperatures are not as bad. Normally, I would put some plants outside in my pond. However, with the temp spikes I decided not to have plants or fish outside this year.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If there are no fish in the tank the plants might be getting the proper nutrients (NPK and micros). In a planted tank nitrates in most cases should not be zero.