· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Advice with Brevis Shellies needed

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all I want to know if Brevis Shell Dwellers are a good fit for me and what I need to get them.

Can they fit with a Blue Ram? I have a Blue Ram who kinda just sits in a fake log I have and chills there all day. I want fish that won't bother her/him and will still be cool fish. The tank is small (about 15 gallons, might be 20 but lets just say 15).

So if I can put a pair of shell dwellers in my tank, what additional things do they need? I know shells, what but what kind of shells? And where can I get them (sorry if that sounds dumb lol).

Do they eat normal fish flakes/sinking shrimp pellets, or do they get something else?

Thanks!
    -ice
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    The only thing I know about shellies is that you do not mix them with other fish. they are fiesty and mean little beggars and your ram would not be safe with them. If you want shellies, I'd suggest you google everything you can find about them, set up a tank just for them and rehome the ram.
    Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icefreeze57 View Post
    Hey all I want to know if Brevis Shell Dwellers are a good fit for me and what I need to get them.

Can they fit with a Blue Ram? I have a Blue Ram who kinda just sits in a fake log I have and chills there all day. I want fish that won't bother her/him and will still be cool fish. The tank is small (about 15 gallons, might be 20 but lets just say 15).
    NO! Rams like their water soft, neutral at most. Shellies want it hard. They also get rather territorial when breeding which could be another issue.
    So if I can put a pair of shell dwellers in my tank, what additional things do they need? I know shells, what but what kind of shells? And where can I get them (sorry if that sounds dumb lol).

Do they eat normal fish flakes/sinking shrimp pellets, or do they get something else?

Thanks!
    -ice
    Shellies will do well with escargot shells. They're not very picky feeders.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay cool! I didn't think I could but I then I read they are rather peaceful and only dominate a small part of the tank. Africans are just very cool fish and I would like to have a nice set-up for them.

Thanks for the help!
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    no - the shellies need a colony of at least 10 with 2x as many shells and are generally kept with a species only tank. There are a few exceptions to that rule but they most certainly would kill the blue ram in a heart beat.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    A skilled aquarist could do a M+F pair of this species in a 10g. A colony would be easier

Quote Originally Posted by icefreeze57 View Post
    okay cool! I didn't think I could but I then I read they are rather peaceful and only dominate a small part of the tank. Africans are just very cool fish and I would like to have a nice set-up for them.
    If you ignore water hardness you wouldn't have them for long. That really is important with these! Their territoriums are small but fiercly defended.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    A skilled aquarist could do a M+F pair of this species in a 10g. A colony would be easier
    I take issue with posting info like this when the OP was asking the question posed. A skilled aquarist could do a lot of things but we also promote the best thing for fish right? Well these fish are colonial in nature so just like schooling fish, they should be in groups.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As someone who actually keeps Brevis. The best shells you can get for them are large snail shells. The more to choose from the better. You should be able to get them on Ebay / Amazon. You need a Ph of at least 7.6 if not 8.0. So no your Ram will not do very well in a tank with a high Ph. You would be better off with 1 - 2 males to a group of females (5 for 1 male 10 for 2 or more depending on size of tank ) But as Brevis live mainly on the lower 1/2 of the tank. The tank will look pretty empty. So a smaller tank is better to keep these fish in.