· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Portions of java fern leaves made skeletal ...

0 Not allowed!
    Something is eating out the solid green sections between the veins of my java fern leaves, leaving only the bare veins with open spaces where the green once was. These sections are either being eaten or are simply rotting away, leaving the veins intact.

I currently have in my 20-gallon several red cherry shrimp, some blue shrimp which have bred, a variety of snails (mostly small), and seven white cloud minnows.

When I change the water, I add Flourish Comprehensive and API root tabs containing iron but no copper.

Recently, a nearly solid sheet of duckweed has covered the surface of my tank, and I have gotten rid of most of it. This skeletal outline problem was occurring before the duckweed was ever in my tank.

This doesn't happen to all of the java fern leaves, nor does it happen constantly. It seems to happen off and on, and when it does, several leaves are affected at once. In between these bouts, I have nice, green, full and healthy leaves for extended periods of time.

What could be causing this? Lighting too low, perhaps? What nutrients could be lacking? The plants do get iron as well as whatever else is in the ferts I use. This condition seems to escalate after I have had vacation food in the tank while I've been away.

I should add that only the java ferns are affected. Nothing wrong with my crypts, amazon sword or anubias, or any of the floating plants.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Mine do the same thing, I think its just the old leaves dying off while new ones come in

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, I haven't seen that with my JF....you don't have the rhizome buried in the substrate, do you?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    No, the ferns are attached to rocks and have extended their roots into the substrate. This happens with plants I've had for a very long time. Perhaps triton is right -- it could be just the old leaves fading away. I always clip them off when they get that way. I just notice it seems to happen occasionally, with several leaves involved at one time, then doesn't happen at all for awhile. Could this just be normal?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Probably perfectly fine....I haven't noticed this with mine, though, I usually don't even trim the leaves until they either start to make new plantlets, or they are covered in hair algae, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers