· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What red plants?

0 Not allowed!
    So I believe I need some red in my tank as its quite green however I have no idea what would work or look good. Here's a pic of my tank.

Lights are 2 55w 6500k CFLs, so 110w total. On for 8 hours total per day. Fertilize with root tabs and liquid co2 and ferts. Plants are cabomba (probably coming out), Amazon sword, wisteria, and Java fern.

I love my wisteria, fern, and especially sword. Taking the cabomba out, I will probably add 1 more sword.

Any suggestions for red plants in my setup?

uploadfromtaptalk1405889120977.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Just know that red plants. True red plants are very difficult to keep. You have the strong light and your dosing ferts which is good and will help you keep them. I noticed you might switch to eco-complete on another thread. Do this before getting these plants. Red plants don't use chlorophyll as much to gain energy from the light. I can not for the life of me remember what the name is that they do use, but it is what makes the plant red. The only problem with this is it is not good at absorbing light. So it needs very powerful lights. To anyone else I wouldn't recommend them. However there are a few that are easier to keep than others.

I think Ludwigia repens "rubin
    Rotala macrandra
    some of the other Cabomba color variants. Red or purple

You could also try some of the Cryptocoryne wendtii red or bronze variants for the front section.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Here's another to look at: Alternanthera reineckii var 'roseafolia'
    http://www.floridaaquatic.com/aquari...reineckii.html

There is also alternanthera reineckii cardinalis which I have in a 5g tank under the stock light that came with the tank. It's slow growing, short and a little bushy, but doing OK. Bought this as one of the TC plants Petsmart is carrying.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Here's another to look at: Alternanthera reineckii var 'roseafolia'
    http://www.floridaaquatic.com/aquari...reineckii.html

There is also alternanthera reineckii cardinalis which I have in a 5g tank under the stock light that came with the tank. It's slow growing, short and a little bushy, but doing OK. Bought this as one of the TC plants Petsmart is carrying.
    I hate to say anything good about a big box store, but those Tissue Culture plants are really nice. I've purchased several different species and they have all done well.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I had some red flame swords and some red wendtii, both will require good root ferts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I hate to say anything good about a big box store, but those Tissue Culture plants are really nice. I've purchased several different species and they have all done well.
    I've bought a couple of others too. Crypt balansae was one that has done really well. This weekend I picked up some anubias nana that looks great - hope I can keep it that way. And I'm going to try the Cyprus Helferi sometime but the ones they had this weekend weren't looking great.

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Telanthera is a nice pink and Purple bunched plant. It will grow fine as long as you have strong light, but must have strong light.
    Even with my 20g setup of 2-22w T5 lights 8 hours a day, CO2 every other day, Potassium twice a week and Iron once a week my Ludwigia Repens red Fades some what. Very hard to keep fully red
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- Mantilla hybrid Stingray
    1- Black Henlei/Leopoldi hybrid Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

40 gallon Breeder grow out tank:
    1- 6 Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

.`.`..`.> - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    You could do a lily like those ones you see in bulb packs at petco/smart. There not super red but the aren't green.

Here is mine from petco
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406076541.547218.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406076563.442571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406076585.828624.jpg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome and here is a Betta - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    my favorite is ludwigia i have some in this tank

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...66#post1279866
    Remember to use the bubble head charm, or gillyweed, before viewing your tank from the inside.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Not really red, but I'll pretend like the title is "plants with other colors besides green"....
    My favorite is Sunset hygro. Love this plant but can't find it anywhere! It does decent in low light and has a nice green base and develops a pink highlight towards the top of the plant. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414650126.680405.jpg