· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Decisions - 125 Gallon community possibility.

0 Not allowed!
    This summer, I did achieve my goal of finishing my 55 gallon tropical community. Thread here:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=117372&page=8

But it also occurred to me that I'm not going to be able to start anything else until next summer if I don't now. I'm going to be extremely busy this year with sports, schoolwork, and responsibilities, which does include taking care of the fish itself. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just limits me. I know that there is a point where it's best just to stop setting up more fish tanks in this hobby, and I've just about reached that point.

So after having the option to get a 125(6' length by 1 1/2' width) gallon tank w/ stand for a far below average price, I had an idea. I could take down 3 of my current tanks and start a 125 gallon tank. I liked the idea of keeping discus, but setting up a planted 125 gallon tank in just a month and a half, as well as adding discus would be quite overwhelming for me.

I then thought of a new idea. I could slowly make process on it over the year, and then add discus next summer(or close to it) once the community is very mature and sorted out. I like this idea, but I have no experience with discus. I have seen mixed opinions on them, such as people saying they require checking on frequently, to saying that they aren't difficult as long as you have a healthy tank. Anyways this is something I will worry about when and if I decide to get them. I would be using a co2 bubbler, canister filters, and LED lighting, just to add.

The main appeal of a 125 gallon was that I would have a lot of room for tropical fish in something this size. I like the idea of being able to keep the following fish in the same tank:

Discus
    German Blue Rams
    Cardinals
    Rummynose
    Farlowella
    Espei Pencilfish
    Marbled Hatchets
    Corys

There's other stuff that I like the idea of, like some a small type of barb, peacock Gudgeons, SAEs, glass catfish, and hopefully a botia, but I would definitely need to do my research on all of the following here.

Any input on a possible stocking(tropical community) or just general advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Faded; 07-17-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    IMO, discus are a lovely fish but my advice would be to learn what it takes to keep discus before adding them to a planted tank. If you do want to add them to a planted tank then be prepared to purchase adult discus (over 4-1/2") as they do not require the multiple feedings per day and large daily water changes. I also would not do co2 with discus, if your regulator fails you could be out an extremely large amount of money. Be prepared even with adults to do frequent large water changes. You can check out my journal here (Go Big or Go Home) as I just started keeping discus myself last October. Learn plants, learn discus then put the two together.

2 Not allowed!
    I've done that very thing - I now have fewer tanks, but they are larger tanks. I got rid of a 55 and a 75 to make room for one of my 125s. I'm sure that you will be much happier that way, because a 125 is just a fantastic tank to work with. Since you are looking at stocking small community fish, you could really go wild and either have some massive schools or a whole bunch of smaller schools. Or a little of both - maybe one huge school of something with several large schools.

Regarding discus, I'm in agreement with Judi - they're an advanced fish and they aren't cheap. I think that may be a better post school/sports project. I don't think the stocking ideas I mentioned would necessarily exclude the addition of discus at a later point, though if I were you I would want verification on that from someone who's successfully kept them.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

4. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I know nothing about discus but I'll try to help out a bit. What I would do in your situation is start setting up a planted tank the way you want, slowly over the next several months, and while you do that research on what fish you want to put in there. By next summer if you're doing research you should know all you need to know about discus. Your stocking so far sounds pretty dang good. I will say I tried my hand at GBRs and their very fickle with behavior and water levels. Not the most hardy fish either. I personally would go with Bolivian Rams but you have to look at them daily so up to you.
    Pleco is probably my favorite color.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    IMO, discus are a lovely fish but my advice would be to learn what it takes to keep discus before adding them to a planted tank. If you do want to add them to a planted tank then be prepared to purchase adult discus (over 4-1/2") as they do not require the multiple feedings per day and large daily water changes. I also would not do co2 with discus, if your regulator fails you could be out an extremely large amount of money. Be prepared even with adults to do frequent large water changes. You can check out my journal here (Go Big or Go Home) as I just started keeping discus myself last October. Learn plants, learn discus then put the two together.
    Thank you! I'll be sure to check it out eventually. Purchasing larger ones may be difficult, but I as well could still probably take care of non adults if I'm prepared well enough. I would definitely be using mostly, if not 100% reverse osmosis water as well. Water changes aren't too much of an issue for me, but the amount of total time that could take is definitely something to take into consideration.

I'm hoping not to have to spend more than $50 for each discus. I've seen the prices on full sized ones, and it's high. I haven't yet checked the online prices for discus.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I've done that very thing - I now have fewer tanks, but they are larger tanks. I got rid of a 55 and a 75 to make room for one of my 125s. I'm sure that you will be much happier that way, because a 125 is just a fantastic tank to work with. Since you are looking at stocking small community fish, you could really go wild and either have some massive schools or a whole bunch of smaller schools. Or a little of both - maybe one huge school of something with several large schools.

Regarding discus, I'm in agreement with Judi - they're an advanced fish and they aren't cheap. I think that may be a better post school/sports project. I don't think the stocking ideas I mentioned would necessarily exclude the addition of discus at a later point, though if I were you I would want verification on that from someone who's successfully kept them.
    Having a huge school and a few other smaller schools actually sounds like an excellent idea. The huge school(25-30, I'm assuming) would definitely be either cardinals or rummynose. Probably the better choice is whichever fish has less powerful movements.

I do like overstocking tanks fish number wise, but I wouldn't want to overwhelm the discus. I need to definitely research this, but I really want to keep as much as possible without issue. I managed to do this successfully with my 55 gallon, but discus could be more complicated.

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking more like 50 - a 125 is a big tank and they are small fish. The nice thing is that you can always get more, so 25-30 is a great place to start.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    I know nothing about discus but I'll try to help out a bit. What I would do in your situation is start setting up a planted tank the way you want, slowly over the next several months, and while you do that research on what fish you want to put in there. By next summer if you're doing research you should know all you need to know about discus. Your stocking so far sounds pretty dang good. I will say I tried my hand at GBRs and their very fickle with behavior and water levels. Not the most hardy fish either. I personally would go with Bolivian Rams but you have to look at them daily so up to you.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing.
    About the GBRs, I have kept them before, but without much knowledge about the water temperature they prefer and the conditions. They did good at first, but disappeared after 3 months. I would actually rather keep these than Bolivian rams just because I have always wanted to keep GBRs correctly.

Speaking of temperature, I'm going to need to keep the temperature in the lower 80s, so that's something to think about in terms what fish are in the stocking.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I was thinking more like 50 - a 125 is a big tank and they are small fish. The nice thing is that you can always get more, so 25-30 is a great place to start.
    True... I'm hoping to keep multiple schools, I just don't know if 40-50 is going to take up too much room.

0 Not allowed!
    You'll know soon after you put 20 in whether or not you'll want more. I think a school of 30 plus a couple of schools of 15 would look nice.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10