· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Angels in a 46g bowfront community?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey folks. I am currently working on resetting up my housemate's tank since when we moved, we lost all the fish and most of the plants. It's a 46g bowfront, will be heavily planted once the new plants set in and start to grow, sand substrate, Eheim 350 filter. The definites are a dozen cherry barbs and 3 either dwarf catfish or pitbull plecos, and then I'm thinking 4-6 cory cats. That's a fairly simple tank. My main question is about the centerpiece fish I (finally!) got her nailed down on what she wants, and she wants angels. From what I've researched, a pair of adult angels would not be overstocking with what I'm already planning, the cherry barbs aren't prone to nipping so all good on that point, and the height of the 46g bowfront will work out well for angels. Whatcha think, folks? Am I right, or did I miss something in my calculations?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    You arent calculating in breeding agression... They might attack your fish while breeding. Though it might not be too much of an issue. If i was you id stick to just a single angle in that tank. Up the barbs and cories. And dont do crays... They will attempt to eat your fish
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Default Angels in a 46g bowfront community?

0 Not allowed!
    That tank should be plenty big for a breeding pair of angels to coexist with other fish, if that is in fact what you want. Not everyone wants their fish breeding. If you want a pair, best thing to do is get 6 and let a pair form naturally, at which point you would return the rest. You can still get and enjoy a pair even I you don't want them breeding - you can simply remove the eggs/fry.

I agree with upping the barbs and Corys, regardless of whether you get one angel or a pair.
    Last edited by jaysee; 07-17-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Really don't want a breeding pair if I can avoid. I figured I'd get 3 youngsters, and see who gets on with whom once they hit adulthood and take out the bully, assuming one pops up. Otherwise, if they all turn out to be fairly chill about everything, we'll either see how the tank handles 3 aults or just cull the one she's not completely attached to and take it to the lfs.

We had a dozen cherries in there last tank set up and that's plenty of red fish for the tank--may push for 15 tops--but if y'all think I can up the cory cats, all the better. Them and dojos are my favorites. I aim for understocked, filter wise, and even with it going to be heavily planted, none of the plants are exactly nutrient suckers like duckweed.

Thanks guys. She'll be happy to hear she can get her angels. :)

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to be assured that you won't have breeding fish then you either have to be diligent about removing eggs and fry (you'll know when they lay eggs) or keep only one. 3 is not a good number - the odd one out will likely be harassed, ultimately to death. Also, angels have a tendency for choosing partners that look like they do, so keep that in mind when deciding what you get. You could try getting 2 of one kind and 2 of another, all of equal size, and see what happens. Keeping cichlids is fascinating, and often requires adjustments. That's part of the allure of them, at least for me - they will never bore you.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't plan on keeping 3 indefinitely. Most of the suggestions I've read were get 3 and cull the one that's a bully or doesn't pair up if you want a breeding pair. That's currently the plan. We'll see how it goes. Worst case scenerio, if they're aggressive to the other fish even after culling one, we'll drop it down to a single angel and give my LFS lady another nice angel and go from there.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with what's been said above (minus culling the aggressor, but that's only my opinion-there are other options). I bought 3 and ended up with one male and two females. It was a crapshow about 6 months-1 year after buying them because they were constantly fighting and the lone female was being attacked constantly til she had to go.
    Poi d'improvviso venivo dal vento rapito, e incominciavo a volare nel cielo infinito.

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?" -John Lennon

"Know that on the night of the Gala Event I shall raise my glass and whisper, 'Fortunato'". -Frederick Sinclair

gallery

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said, we'll see what happens on aggression. I'm not even close to ready to get them yet, so I've got time.

On another note, the tank inhabitant list has changed somewhat. We were at the fish store for cherry barbs. They were out, but my housemate saw the Black Neons (which I love anyway). So we'll have a school of those, a school of cherries, the corys and plecos or otos, and then angels...depending on nitrate levels once the everything but the angels have been added, may just get one anyway. On the other hand, I have several plants that are nitrate guzzlers, so there's that too *lol*

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keep us posted :)
    Poi d'improvviso venivo dal vento rapito, e incominciavo a volare nel cielo infinito.

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?" -John Lennon

"Know that on the night of the Gala Event I shall raise my glass and whisper, 'Fortunato'". -Frederick Sinclair

gallery