· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Zebra Die-off Mystery

0 Not allowed!
    So, this is sort of depressing: When I set up my new tank a month ago, I put in fifteen zebra danios, one of which is actually a leopard. I had heard that these fish are so tough that they are used for fishy cycling. Pretty much indestructible as long as nothing eats them, right?

Well, one by one, they are dying. I am down to two zebras and the leopard now. This is not a huge financial setback, but I would like to figure out what is going on. Water parameters are fine, with nitrates <10 ppm, nitrites and ammonia 0, average hardness and Ph. Something of a diatom problem (I suspect the silicates in my water are pretty high), but no sign of beard or green algae. Plants are thriving, as are all the other fish (pentazonas, an RTS, two dwarf gouramis).

The zebras will get a small, discolored patch, usually in the dorsal area...sort of a light colored-washed out looking patch. It doesn't look like an injury or a fungus growth. The next day, the fish is dead.

Anybody have any idea what is going on? Did I just get some unhealthy or inbred livestock?
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I am down to two out of fifteen. All the other fish are completely fine. Water parameters are great. I am completely stumped. Any ideas? . Tom

0 Not allowed!
    It still could be a bacteria and/or fungis in there that is causing this. Small white patches are typically a potential sign of both, but as this seams to work very fast I would be inclined to think it is some type of bacteria. Maybe the below ?

http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=v&id=18

A good quality med that deals with both bacteria and fungal inflections might be worth a shot here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Cliff. That sure sounds like what happened. I am reluctant to treat my tank, since none of the other fish are infected. The quote on your sig line is true--I wish I had room to set up a quarantine tank. I don't know if it would have helped in this case, though--it was about a month before I started having any problems.

If I see this in any other fish, I will treat with antibiotics. Thanks for the info.

Tom
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Damn that kinda sucks but i cant figure out how danios died like that i have 12 in my 20gall and they are thriving.
    I heard that they prefer cold water. Could that be a problem?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good question in regards to the water temp.
    Drawf Gouramis prefer 72-82 F
    Zebra Danios usually thrive in some colder water, 65-75 F.

If your other Tropicals are doing well, then I bet the water temp is the culprit.