· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Scared cherry barb?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all!

I have bought 2 male guppies, 2 male cherry barb and one female cherry barb (asked for 2 female and one male, but oh well.. ) 1 week and a half ago. Everything is going good so far, other than some spars between my 2 male guppies (though they seem to be friends now, they swim everywhere together without fighting anymore) and 1 of my male cherry barb always hiding.

It's on this last issue I would like some opinions of the more experienced fish keepers here. Ever since I bought the fishes, 1 male and 1 female cherry barbs are always hanging out together while the other one is "excluded". He started out just swimming by himself, then he was hiding between the floor/wall of my aquarium and a moss ball, and now he is hiding in the holes of my wooden decoration pretty much constantly. He does come out pretty fast when I feed the fishes, and he swims a bit by himself still, but he seems to be spending most of his time hiding in that wooden decoration. Is this normal behavior?

Also, all of my cherry barbs are quite "calm" if I can put it like that. They do swim, but are a lot less active than my guppies that are always swimming everywhere together. Are cherry barbs naturally shyer/calmer that other species of fish?

Thanks for your help!

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry barbs are a shoaling fish by nature, kept in groups of at least 6 or more, 10 preferably...I would up your school to at least 10, if I were you

Here's some info for you: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/puntius-titteya/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    This is why the ratio needs to be 1 male to 2 females. The male that is swimming with your female is the dominate one and through show of force has excluded the other male. He won't let the weaker male near his female. The rejected male thus stays to himself and hides.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Default Scared cherry barb?

1 Not allowed!
    Barbs are not like guppies - they don't need 1m:2f. What they need is an actual school, like slaphappy mentioned. Sex ratios are only "important" in groups that are too small. In a school of 10+ it really doesn't matter what the ratio is, as long as it's not one sided. An even split has always done well for me.

Too, any time you buy fish it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting what it is you want. If you want to specify males and females, then you need to be able to sex them yourself.
    Last edited by jaysee; 07-15-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10