· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 20g

1. Default New 20g

0 Not allowed!
    I joined this site yesterday and started my 55f thread. So glad to be on this forum as its much more active and informative I believe!

So with my 55 complete for the most part, my wife just gave me her brand new 20g marineland led kit since she got an aqueon 29g. So, more new stuff!

I plan to do tetra safe start fish in cycle, just not sure what fish to use for it?

It will have eco complete substrate and fake plants for this tank. I just love the look of the eco complete. Wish I had used it in my planted 55 now.

I plan to add a small school of cories, 2 GBR, and this is where I'm stuck on what else to add. I currently have a male gbr, lost our female. Could I have more than 2 rams in the 20?

I also have a smaller angel that is starting to get picked on some. Could I add him and have the 2 rams and that be it? Not a fan of many tetras except neons and Cardinals, not big on barbs either. I love angels, rams, cories, discus, but of course I can't have discus in a 20.

Anh suggestions before I get it started? Thanks

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    First off I would suggest doing a fishless cycle. It is much easier, doesn't take as long, you'll get more beneficial bacteria in your filter and a much high success rate with your fish. Check out the thread in the cycling section.

Is this a 20G High tank or a Long?

Why fake plants? With eco-complete you can grow some killer stuff.

I wouldn't put an angel in a 20 gallon. It will get too big and you'll have to move it eventually.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I will do a fish less then just go get everything nice and set without losing anything.

It is a 20g tall. It came with the led hood that doesn't look like you can add anything to, so rather than buy new lights or hood, I just thought I'd settle on fake plants since I have a lot left over from my 55

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    What are the specs on that light? It is probably low light. You could really dress that tank up with low light plants such as anubais, java fern, and of course Crypts!!!!! I have run of the mill lighting and all of my crypts are just beasting it out! One of our members here (Triton) sells a lot of plants and currently has a nice stock of various crypt species. Very reasonable prices, PM him if you are interested.

What type of filter does this tank have?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's I think 4 watts total with the 3 lunar lights. I would love to do a planted tank but the big bushy stuff like wisteria and cabomba won't do I fear.

It has a penguin bio wheel 150 filter

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah cabomba won't do. But I still say the low light plants will work. I think if you use eco-complete without plants you will run into serious algae issues. That stuff is loaded with nutrients for plants and if there are no plants to use it up the algae will use it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wisteria wouldn't work either very well would it?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure. It is a pretty hardy plant. It can be used as a floating plant. I have water sprite in all three of my tanks. It is pretty much the same thing with a different leaf structure. It is planted in my ten gallon office tank and floating in my 20 and my 10 gallon betta tank. It does very nicely. I said it before, but all my tanks are low light. That stuff propagates so quickly you could cut some out of your 55 and stick it in your 20 and see what it does.

0 Not allowed!
    You may be able to also get away with some Swords too but, Anubius and Ferns for sure.
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall
    12 plants with dual T5's and dry ferts- Iron, Potassium and CO2
    6-Pygmy Cories, 4-Red Wag Platys, 6-X-ray Tetras 1-Scissor tail guppy.

My tank
    120 Gallon
    with 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays and 12 Mystery Snails- soon as our couch is delivered.