· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default hey cliff! (and others). need a helping hand.

0 Not allowed!
    Heh cliff... You started a monster... My moms bf wants a sw tank and a low tech planted tank. Both 55g. Any ways im looking for ideas for the tank. I have about 1,000$ to do tge while set up and i need to keep maintenance down since ill probably be doing it all lol. I have a 29g that im thinking of making a sump with. If we can find a cheap drilled 75 ill try to get him to upgrade. But i need help with stocking... Any ideas? Lighting i might do leds since im doing those for the planted tank... But ik blue colors.... Looking into that... Going tk start 2 new journals when i start these tanks.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I don't know about stocking a tank that big but this is a really good place to get LR it is shipped completly submerged and you can get sand, LR and everyting you need for a nice looking tank exept fish. Here's link www.tbsaltwater.com
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

1 Not allowed!
    i was thinking of cutting costs a bit by doing mostly dead rock and seeding it with live rock. but thats still something im looking into. i thinking the places that i can cut costs that wont affect the bottom line would mean i can spend more on things that will help me keep the tank healthier.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldat least get 20 pounds of LR from that place they also sell cheap base rock
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

0 Not allowed!
    If your on a budget, then aqua-cultured rock is certainly not the way to go. The shipping costs from the above posted website will also cost you a minimum of $100.00 (likely a lot higher for a package that would be suitable for a 75 gallon tank). Additionally, you can not see the rock before buying it so you really do not know the quality of the product you are getting. The live rock will be able the most important purchase you make so IMO, you really need to make sure your getting good quality, but it doesn't have to cost a arm and a leg either. If you want the best "bang for your buck" you could look into getting about 20 to 30 lbs of live rock and about 50 lbs or dry rock. Once you cycle the tank, you should be set. You should be able to find a good deal from sites like Craig's list for live rock as you always seam to find people parting out their set-ups for sale before selling off the tank/sump/stand.

Just pick out some good quality live rock. The below links can help with that

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/cur...ine-aquariums/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/wha...-of-live-rock/

I can certainly help out with stocking suggestions if you could give me a little more info on the type of set-up you guys have in mind. Info like:
    -Reef or FOWLR ?
    -If reef, what type of reef ?
    -Do you like lots of smaller fish, or fewer larger ones ?
    -Would you want more peaceful or more aggressive fish ?

I can also offer a few more suggestions for equipment and lighting once I have a little more info as well (should you find that helpful or even want that)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Fowlr is the only option imo atm. I wont be able to keep up reef costs/work since i wont be there. I threw this thread up to just get the ideas and let you know you broke ne down lol.

The tank is almost set in stone as a 55g with 29 sump. Since we have those tanks to spare

i was definatly looking at 20# live rock with 60# dry and cycle it myself. Is the standard 1" or sand good enough for sw?

For equipment i was thinking the folowing:
    Protien skimmer
    Ro/di unit
    Heater
    Diy led lights
    Glass hoods for all the tanks
    Good water circulation pumps....

I think im missing some things but yea i got a list going.

As for stocking i need color and personality. My mother would love a clown fish and her bh would love a snowflake eel... I think the eel is a no go for this tank tho.... Other than that i would like to see a small schooling fish loke chromis some bottom fish like blenny and a couple of solo personality fish. I have no idea how well stocked i can make this tank lol.

Thanks for the help and i will be starting a wonderful journal for this.

0 Not allowed!
    I think a 55 would be a little on the small side for a fully grown eel as well

For stocking I would suggest the following:
    -a pair of snowflake clowns
    -a royal gramma or black cap basslet
    -5 or 6 chalk bass
    -a dwarf flame angel or dwarf flameback angel
    -a bicolor blenny
    -and a longfin fairy wrasse

For a CUC, about 12 to 18 spiny star astera snails, a few emerald crabs, and a Halloween hermit crab

For equipment, the below are my recommendations:
    -For a good quality a fairly priced skimmer, I would recommend a bubble magnus curve 5 skimmer
    - for powerheads, I would recommend 3 or 4, Tunze 6025 powerheads. They are a little pricey for powerheads, but you can adjust them to better angles then all other powerheads commonly sold today which gives you a lot more options for better flow
    -My recommendations for a RO unit would depend on the TDS in the tap water (if you know that)

I would suggest sticking to substrate meant for marine aquariums. The silicates that would be released from FW substrate would cause bigger problems in a marine aquairum than it would in a FW set-up. Marine substrate will also leach out needed minerals to help maintain your water parameters, like your calcium and pH levels.

With enough live rock in your set-up you will not need your substrate for filtration. You could even consider going bare-bottom and allowing the bottom of the tank to become covered with coraline (which looks pretty cool) or you could just use enough substrate to cover the bottom of the tank. Bare bottom is the easiest approach from a weekly maintenance point of view. I have less than 1/2 inch of substrate in both of my marine set-ups (one reef one FOWLR) so it is very easy for me to clean out the crud from the substrate

Let me know your thought on the above stocking suggestions and I can offer more options if there is something on that list that may not be a good fit for your liking.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Question about curing the rock. Since this set up is brand new set up can i cure both rocks together in the tank? We can black out the tank easly enough with some blankets and that will give us plenty of time to make sure all the plumbing and equipment is working right.

0 Not allowed!
    When it comes to live rock, the terms curing and cycling can mean the same thing

You can certainly do that in your tank before adding any livestock and you want to cycle/cure the live rock with the dry rock to better seed it with BB. Good plan blocking out all the light as well so you don;t get any bad algae growth.

I would also suggest waiting to add your substrate (if you are using substrate) after the tank has cycled. That way, you won't have to worry about any trapped crud getting in there or have to worry about nutrients getting absorbed into the substrate to be released later on.
    Last edited by Cliff; 07-12-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Sweet. That definatly sounds like a plan. I think argonite sand would be what i would look for. Since its not MY tank i can only suggest things and im sure he will want sand. Can i use some sort of ugj system like i would in fw?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast