· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Gill flukes vs Cycle?

0 Not allowed!
    7 weeks into cycle, nitrites are still up but coming down. Have 4 cory catfish, 1 Leopard danio, and 1 Apistogramma Caucautoides. Been doing daily water changes for like 1 1/2 weeks when nitrites started to spike. Apistogramma started hiding 5 days ago and has gotten more lethargic everyday. Also started rubbing against airline hose to scratch itself. Color looks a little fuzzy. Does this sound like gill flukes or a reaction to the cycle? No other fish seem effected.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    What are your current water parameters ?

That info might help here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Prior to last nights water change. Ammonia 0, nitrites .25, nitrates 10 ish. PH stable at 7.5

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi mate,

I've been reading up on nitrite poisoning for my checkerboard (who I suspect has nitrate poisoning), it sounds like nitrite poisoning. The presence of nitrite confirms it almost definitely - even if gill flukes are present, the nitrites are a major issue anyway.

The articles I've read suggest adding salt, there is a nitrite salt calculator (supposedly the chloride ion - in the salt - stops nitrite being taken into the fish):
    http://www.fishtanksandponds.co.uk/c...t-nitrite.html
    (you can use iodised salt - I do) (also not sure how legit the calculator is)

Not sure how well your fish tolerate salt though, especially the cories. If you have another cycled tank, I would be taking the fish out.

Try looking up the fishless cycling method - you may want to consider doing this in the future.

Methylene blue is supposedly able to reverse the effects of nitrite poisoning, see here for a technical description:
    http://www.kordon.com/kordon/product...methylene-blue

Try googling "nitrite aquarium treatment" there is a bit of information

The other thing was that supposedly the Seachem water conditioner detoxies nitrite - if you have some of that available, I would chuck it in too.

Hope this helps,
    Stewart

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just switched to Seachem Prime 2 days ago. I don't think the salt would do well with the Cori's. So do you think once this tank cycles and the nitrites go away, this fish will recover? Or do you think gill flukes are present and my whole tank will become infected?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I don't think there are any gill flukes (never had any experience with them before though). Fish seem to flash (scratch themselves), in my experience, for a whole bunch of different reasons. I also agree the salt wouldn't go well with the cories. I reckon the methylene blue might be good though.

No idea of how likely your fish are to recover though, but yeah, getting the nitrites to 0 is probably the biggest priority.

I'm not expert though

Cheers,
    Stewart

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Never shake a baby birrrrrrrd! - rebecca_finny   Safe travels, Shenzi! - rebecca_finny   Just Saying Thanks! - Plecos   Here's some candy for your candy bag. - mommy1   More candy for your candy bag - mommy1   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - rebecca_finny   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like some kind of parasite if the fish are scratching.