· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish ID?

1. Default Fish ID?

0 Not allowed!
    Being adventurous and with a mostly empty tank, when the lady at the LFS said "I'm not sure exactly what these are, but they snuck in with a fish shipment", I said ok. I'm cycling a tank anyway, so why not. Lesson for today: Taking pictures of moving fish is a pain in the

Exhibit 1 - pearly white fish with iridescent spots on it's sides. About 1.5 inches long, and a fast swimmer.
    2014-07-09 16.29.49.jpg

2014-07-09 17.52.43.jpg

2014-07-09 17.52.58.jpg

Exhibit 2 - There were three of these, and they all immediately disappeared. This one held still long enough for me to get a craptastic picture. They stick to the floor, and almost look like they're skittering on their fins. It's kinda freaky looking.

2014-07-09 17.57.35.jpg

To thank you for your time, here's a bunch of happy eels.

2014-07-05 14.38.09.jpg

1 Not allowed!
    First looks like some sort of killi fish (or topminnow). Second looks like a goby maybe? Not fish I know anything about so that's just a guess
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Top I'm sure is a killi and the bottom ones are a type of stiphodon goby if I'm not mistaken.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The top is either a stressed mosquitofish or a killifish topminnow thing, secong id a swamp darter I think both native to florida I have mosquitofish and plan to make my tank a native tank when I upgrade
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does the first one look like this? goldentop.jpg
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It does! I know, crap pictures. She did say that she thought they were Floridian. Interesting that the only fish she truly didn't know how to identify is probably the kind I wanted to look into anyway :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok first is a golden topminnow or at least that's what the pic was labeld as, second is a swamp darter I think

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After looking at pictures of gobies, I'm pretty sure you're right about those too. Hopefully they'll get a bit bigger or start coming out a bit more so I can get a good look at them, hehe.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I would get some florida plants for that tank, the other fish in the pic of the last fish is a black lined killifish

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know, thanks :)