· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Restarted ten gallon advice please

0 Not allowed!
    So I had a ten gallon with 3 carnival goldfish my son won at the carni(the whole reason I got the tank) they passed after a year from disease. I cleaned cycled the tank and put in some smaller live plants. now I have 4 neon tetras 4 black bellied tetras and two guppies. I would like to maybe add just 1 more fish to accent the whole thing but I always realize I maybe at capacity. any advice greatly appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    How long has the tank been running and what type of filter do you have on it?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Its been running for about 4 months now. The filter is a Top Fin 10g and a heater to keep it at 80 degrees. I do need to pick up a test kit as I've lost mine

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Well certainly get the test kit before you add anything else just so you know where you are at. I've been wracking my brain for a nice single fish and I'm having difficulty coming up with one. I think you are pushing capacity, especially with your filter. It is rated for ten and most of us like a filter that is at least double. This just gives us assurance the filter is doing it's job, especially if we over stock a little. If your test kit shows good params. Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate less than 20 then I would say you could get away with maybe a rather nice Endler. Small, flashy, will do well with the others. I realize Endlers are pretty much guppies and you already have two, but I find them to be just a little more flashy than your regular guppy. Other people on the forum might have other suggestions for you. Welcome btw. :)
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    im pretty sure the endler will do fine or a betta but it looks like your tank is already reaching full capacity

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thats what i thought. Definitely getting a test kit before anything more. Thanx

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

1 Not allowed!
    What is the scientific name for the Black Belly Tetra? Never heard of it. You could always increase your school of Neon Tetras to create a more impressive school. The way I see it, 10gals are good for species specific tanks of micro fish. Maybe one single fish, like a Betta or a dwarf puffer, or two small schools of micro fish (1 mid-top dwelling, 1 bottom).
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   a betta for your tank ;) - genocidex   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   good for you for saving the goldfish - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    my suggestion would be to rehome the gupppies and up your tetra schools to 6.
    and just to let you know goldfish from the carnival are usually comets which mean they get 1 foot in length
    and really are pond fish. goldfish can easily live 10 years if not more in proper conditions.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yea i didnt know that bout goldfish at the time. Sorry theyre blackskirt tetra. And i would use more neons but they blend in with my black and red gravel to much. I was thinkin a betta though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

3 Not allowed!
    Hrmmm... the Black Skirts are a bit large for a 10gal. I used to have Serpae Tetras in a 10gal when I started out. I only had 3 in there and it felt cramped to me. You should really keep these guys in schools of 6+, but that's not going to do for a 10gal. I would suggest taking the Black Skirts back (and maybe the Neons back, if you don't like them), and swap them for something you do like. Not sure what your limitations are, but you might consider upgrading to a 20gal Long or 29gal tank. They will increase your stocking options 10 fold.

Either that, or consider some micro fish. I've been putting together a comprehensive list of micro/nano fish for some time now, and honestly, you still have a lot to choose from, but the problem is finding them. Being where you are, TWS is actually kind of close to you. Being that's the case, you could pretty much order anything you want without the shipping costs being too extravagant.

Here's my list of micro fish:

For a more acidic tank:
    1. Paracheirodon simulans
    2. Barbus jae
    3. Boraras brigittae
    4. Boraras maculata
    5. Sundadanio axelrodi
    6. Nannostomus mortenthaleri
    7. Boraras merah

For a more neutral tank:
    1. Danio erythromicron
    2. Chela dadyburjori
    3. Danio choprae
    4. Rasbora borapotensis
    5. Sawbwa resplendens
    6. Tanichthys albonubes
    7. Tanichthys micagemmae
    8. Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi
    9. Hyphessobrycon roseus
    10. Trigonostigma espei
    11. Trigonostigma hengeli
    12. Hyphessobrycon amandae
    13. Microdevario Kubotai
    14. Pseudomugil gertrudae
    15. Danio margaritatus
    16. Pseudomugil furcatus
    17. Hyphessobrycon roseus
    18. Hyphessobrycon amandae
    19. Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
    20. Dario dario
    21. Boraras uropthalmoides
    22. Boraras naevus
    23. Microdevario nana
    24. Corydoras pygmaeus
    25. Corydoras habrosus
    26. Tanichthys thacbaensis
    27. Nannostomus eques
    28. Hara jerdoni
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.