· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I'm honored and humbled that you took that epic journey with me, and are now caught up!

I haven't done a FTS video in a while, I might try to capture one tonight, for you guys to view tomorrow
    Woot! Woot! More video!

Default High pH

0 Not allowed!
    Tap water appears to be 7.8
    PART_1405468497025.jpg

Tank water appears to be ???
    PART_1405468462926.jpg

The hubs says 8.2. I thought it looked more like 8.0

KH tested at 7 (125.3 ppm)
    GH tested at 11 (196.9 ppm)

Any ideas why the water in the tank is a bit harder than the water from the tap?

1 Not allowed!
    high ph wash test tube with tap water and let dry over night and retest. I ran into a three day period where my ph tested high off the chart. Day four after letting test tubes dry over night back to normal. I still dont know qhat happened there.

Yes I have a journal called My MTS story. Currently I am running four tanks and a fifth in the works.

On gh/kh which tank and what is in it ,as in substrait decore, and so forth?
    Last edited by cm12setx; 07-16-2014 at 02:56 AM.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    high ph wash test tube with tap water and let dry over night and retest. I ran into a three day period where my ph tested high off the chart. Day four after letting test tubes dry over night back to normal. I still dont know qhat happened there.

Yes I have a journal called My MTS story. Currently I am running four tanks and a fifth in the works.

On gh/kh which tank and what is in it ,as in substrait decore, and so forth?
    We have well water so it's possible that the pH is really that high, but I will check it again in a couple days. The substrate is a mix of 15 lbs small gravel, 25 lbs fine gravel and 16 lbs active-flora black sand. Decorations are artificial plants and one anubias nana. Three resin aquarium ornaments, one ceramic aquarium ornament and 3 rocks. TopFin multi-stage filter rated for 40 gal and sponge filter, also rated for 40 gal. Heater and thermometer

I'll be looking for your journal. :-) And it does sound like you have MTS, but you are in good company for that here.
    Last edited by showmebutterfly; 07-16-2014 at 03:17 AM.

2 Not allowed!
    My tap ph is 8.0 and tank ph is 8.2. I thought I was the only one around here with ph so high. Mine's not even well water.
    DM's 20g high - journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tell me doesn't DW help in mainting the PH

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

4 Not allowed!
    Yeah I'd say that is 8.2 and not surprising as well water can be that way. Looks like you should keep cichlids! lol

As for Afro's question. Driftwood doesn't maintain PH but it will pull it down some if there is enough tannic acid still in the wood. PH levels are maintained by the hardness of the water. The harder the water the more the PH is locked in. The softer the water the more the PH can move.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    My tap ph is 8.0 and tank ph is 8.2. I thought I was the only one around here with ph so high. Mine's not even well water.
    I will be watching your tanks then to see how well the fish you stock do in your water. :-)
    Are you doing anything to lower the pH? I have hopes of just working with what I have so I'm curious about how others work with this.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Yeah I'd say that is 8.2 and not surprising as well water can be that way. Looks like you should keep cichlids! lol
    It does turn out that our water is perfect for Lake Malawi cichlids. The only problem is that most of them are reportedly more aggressive and prefer rocks over plants. I was really hoping for peaceful, planted community tank(s).

I will be doing a lot more research, I suppose.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    First thing I'll say before you even ask, don't try and lower your PH. If it turns out that 8.0 - 8.2 is consistent for your water supply then work with it, not against it. You can make it work, but trying to lower the PH will only cause you a lot of work and marginal success.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast