· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Wee Three Tanks of Orient Arrrrgghhh

3 Not allowed!
    Beginning of May I decided I wanted to get back into fish keeping and thought I'd ease into it with a 10 gallon aquarium set up. No theme. Just a small tank with some gravel, some artificial plants and some neon and glowlight tetras. There's one wee tank.

Mid-June I find a lovely oak aquarium stand on Craigslist and buy it. By the end of June I have a brand new 40 gallon breeder tank sitting on top of it in a corner of the living room. Theme will be Cambodian Jungle Temple Ruins - think Angkor Wat, but under water. There's the second wee tank and the Orient part.

Early July (today actually) I find some items on Craigslist that interest me. I discuss them with my husband, send some emails and texts and we plan on going to look at the items after work. The first listing is for a 29 gallon tank in questionable repair with a rusty metal stand - the kind where you can have one tank sitting on top and another tank sitting on a shelf below - just $10 for both. I happen to have $10 cash in my wallet (I don't usually carry cash). Surprise - I am now the proud owner of a 29 gallon tank - that may or may not hold water - and a rusty stand that will be scrubbed and sanded and painted until it is good as new or close to it. I have already decided I want a large sunken ship and not much else, besides fish, in this tank. So there's the third wee tank and the Arrrrgghhh.

I asked my husband for help with a clever / witty title. We are warped. And tired. Don't judge. :-)

The second listing was for various aquarium items. We snagged an LED light, 30" glass top, aqua clear filter and a sponge filter all for $69.00. I rolled my hubby right there in the parking lot for every bit of cash and most of the change he had to pay for them. He must love me because he not only let me take all his cash, but he also took me out dinner and isn't too disgruntled about me getting 3 aquariums in 3 months. Or maybe his 'help' with the title was payback....

It will be Thursday before I'll have a chance to level the stand out in the garage and fill up the 29 gallon to check for leaks, but for now I am a happy camper.

2 Not allowed!
    I actually quite like the title! I do spend many of my days warped and tired as well so maybe I can appreciate it.. lol.
    Congrats on your many purchases.. can't wait to see how they progress.
    DM's 20g high - journal

0 Not allowed!
    Excited to see the fish you plan to fill them with! :)

"Know that on the night of the Gala Event I shall raise my glass and whisper, 'Fortunato'". -Frederick Sinclair
    gallery

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

2 Not allowed!
    That's a pretty cool dude to let you have three tanks so quickly! And the name is rather clever.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I think i busted my ass laughing at the title :P

2 Not allowed!
    Yep, loved the title! You drew me in. ;P Now I await your setup/scaping/stocking choices. ;P

I like the sunken ship idea, but I think you should make it a rather large ship, if you can. Something where the fish can actually swim through it. I've thought about doing something like that, but I don't like the cheesy ornaments available. Maybe get one of those pirate ships they sell at pretty much every coastal tourist shop, strip the paint/glue, saw it in half, making it jig-jagged and then hollow out one of the sides. lol

I know that sounds like a lot for a 29gal, but it would be really cool. ;P

Then you could have a dark sandy substrate w/ rocks strewn about and a few plants here and there, just to make it more natural.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Shipwreck! I love it!
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Yep, loved the title! You drew me in. ;P Now I await your setup/scaping/stocking choices. ;P

I like the sunken ship idea, but I think you should make it a rather large ship, if you can. Something where the fish can actually swim through it. I've thought about doing something like that, but I don't like the cheesy ornaments available. Maybe get one of those pirate ships they sell at pretty much every coastal tourist shop, strip the paint/glue, saw it in half, making it jig-jagged and then hollow out one of the sides. lol

I know that sounds like a lot for a 29gal, but it would be really cool. ;P

Then you could have a dark sandy substrate w/ rocks strewn about and a few plants here and there, just to make it more natural.
    I have been looking online at large ship ornaments for aquariums. There are some that come in 2 -3 pieces and are 20-22" wide altogether. I'll be looking for something along that scale. Definitely would like something for the fish to swim thru and probably dark sandy substrate too. Pretty sure that will be my neon and glowlight tetra tank with as many of those little schooling jewels as I can safely stock. Dark background too. I'm thinking I'll paint the back of the tank navy / dark blue.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for your supportive comments! I am looking forward to working on all the tanks and figuring out what to do with them. And also looking forward to getting lots of good ideas and suggestions from all of y'all!

0 Not allowed!
    If you could get something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hms-Victory-...item58b1dc4e86 without the wood stain on it, that would be awesome. ;]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.