· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: First DIY sump

1. Default First DIY sump

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy folks,

I'm building a 15 gallon sump for my 30 gallon aquarium. Yes it is overkill, but also extremely cool. In an effort to keep costs down, I cut the glass panels from some broken windows that were about to be thrown out. Also, I'll be using a 200 GPH fountain pump from Harbor Freight Tools ($10.99), and building the famous PVC DIY overflow and a spray bar. What's left to do is plumb the overflow and return, add a pump, and throw in some media and plants.

Side view:

Top view:

Where it will sit next to my display tank:

Never having built a sump before, I have some questions for you all:

-Is the Harbor Freight Tools fountain pump adequate?
    -Does the return section look big enough?
    -Where the sump sits in the picture, should it have enough head drop from the main tank to function properly?
    -What size of PVC for my overflow should I use?

Thanks a ton! More pictures will follow once the rest of the stuff is in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    looks pretty good to me. at 200gph you could use 0.5" pvc without any problems. I'm not familiar with those types of pumps, but seems to me that it should be able to handle it given there is very little head height.
    Thar she blows!!!

1 Not allowed!
    I have no experience with that particular pump, but once you plumb it in, and account for a little wear-n-tear, I would be shocked if you got 150 gph of flow. That should still be good enough for a 30 gallon tank provided it is not very heavy stocked.

The below links might be helpful to you

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/some-sump-basics/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aqu...umbing-basics/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]