· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fish injured its spine?

0 Not allowed!
    When I was cleaning the fishtank and transfering the fishes (common gold fish),
    one of it leaped out, it fell from only 6 inches height.

But yesterday I noticed that fish is swimming oddly, and its body seems a little bent, you can barely notice it.
    Earlier today, the fish is having a harder time swimming, like it completely lost its balance, the bent on its body is a bit noticeable.
    Just now, I looked again, and its body has completely become C shaped.

I feel horrible as it was my mistake that it leaped and injured itself.
    Is there anything I can do for it?

PS. All the other 9 fish are fine and perfectly healthy.
    PPS. I'm actually NOT 100% SURE if the bent fish is the one that leaped. It's hard to tell them apart. It's just an assumption since I don't know why any of the fish would suffer such thing without anything happening to them beforehand.
    Last edited by Rachelle; 07-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Umm what size is your tank in the first place common goldfish need a pond or a really big tank they canget 24" long and if the fish injured its spine there is nothing that I know you can do but I know when you inbreed fish they can have misshapen spines and die if they breed
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel

Awards Showcase

Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook 
    Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm it is possible this is a physical injury or it could be a disease that by happenstance occurred at the same time as the fish jumping. Have you noticed any other symptoms other than the bent spine? Any discoloration, malformation? What are your water parameters?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    Umm what size is your tank in the first place common goldfish need a pond or a really big tank they canget 24" long and if the fish injured its spine there is nothing that I know you can do but I know when you inbreed fish they can have misshapen spines and die if they breed
    It's a 50 gallon aquarium. The fishes are still pretty small, like 3-5 inches.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Hmmmm it is possible this is a physical injury or it could be a disease that by happenstance occurred at the same time as the fish jumping. Have you noticed any other symptoms other than the bent spine? Any discoloration, malformation? What are your water parameters?
    No discoloration. It doesn't seem to use its pelvic/ventral fins anymore. Just the other fins. Its problem happened the day after the incident (plus I don't have a test kit but my fishes have been fine for a long time now, since I change 50% of the water every week), so I don't think it could be ammonia problem?

0 Not allowed!
    Umm they are fine for alittle while in that that but is the fish swimming in a circle? What filter and plants do ou have?

Awards Showcase

Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook 
    Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt it is ammonia. This just doesn't seem like a symptom of that. But you really should get a liquid test kit because even a well established tank is susceptible to crashes. Whatever the cause of this spinal injury it is more than likely beyond saving at this point. Pay very close attention to your other fish. For all we know this could be from the jump, it could be a genetic malformation, or it could be something worse and you don't want your other fish infected.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to above, but if he damaged one of his pectoral fins and has t swim in a circle it could cause spinal problem I meen you leen over for a week your going to have problems if you did that

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    This can indeed be caused by poor water quality...how is this 50 gallon tank filtered?...as mentioned, you need a liquid test kit to check the tank water parameters

What water conditioner do you use?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay guys I don't really think it has something to do with water quality as this happened right after the dropping incident.
    It's hard to get a test kit in where I'm from and I don't have money to order online.

Anyway, if this injury was caused by the dropping incident, is there anything I can do for it?
    If not, should I euthanise it?
    How should I euthanise it if I don't have clove oil? Is physically killing it the only way?