· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lloach identity?

0 Not allowed!
    I have these 2 loaches which I got given from people at my club. They said they were Polka dot/Botia kubotai but I think they might be Golden Zebras/Botia histrionica. Just wanting some second opinions.

Loach 1 (photobombed by a yoyo).

Loach 2

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I cast my vote towards the Golden zebra loach. The polka dot loach seems to have less defined dark patterns with connections between the stripes. I also thought it might be a yo-yo loach but ruled that out because they have more reticulation than these do.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Default Lloach identity?

0 Not allowed!
    There seems to be some variation in the strains of Angelicus loaches. I have 4 that are much more dark than light. I've been searching for more like mine for years and have not found them. Every time I see them for sale they look like the ones in your pic. Too, as you probably know with your yoyo - their pattern changes as they grow. The light parts get squeezed by the dark parts until the fish is more dark than light.

Here is a new one I got
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404822909.288055.jpg
    Here's what my originals look like
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404822956.845412.jpg

Loachesonline is a good resource for IDing them. There are a few species with that look that look kinda similar.

By the way, I bought my "Angelicus" loaches (both originals and new) from the same store - they have like 20 different loach species for sale. I think I've seen golden zebras there and I would agree that that may be the ID of loach 1. Loach 2 is definitely Angelicus though.
    Last edited by jaysee; 07-08-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I have 6 Angelicus loaches too and they range greatly in patten, with 4 being more similar to your original loaches and a few being more similar to your new one. In my experience the ones with patterns like the new one of yours usually fill in to become black with white spots.

At first I was sure that loach 2 was an angelicus but as time goes on I'm more and more convinced its a golden zeb. My friend shows me a shot of her mature GZs and it looks very similar. Would also explain why it hangs out on its own all the time. Loach 1 doesn't seem to mind hanging out with the yoyos and Angelicus.

If I can positively ID them as GZs I'll be giving them to my friend to join her existing school.

0 Not allowed!
    My new one is larger than my originals, which is what throws me for a loop. I've seen lots of small ones that look like that but at that fishs size I would have expected there to be very little light, like my originals.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen the same with my Angelicus. I have one like your new one which is much larger than the others. For all I know it could be a different species again. Or just different pattern development, I've noticed my Yoyos all looked the same when I got them but now they all look completely different. Or maybe it was caught from a different location which is why it looks different? Who knows.

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly....Who knows. In my area it's really hard to find quality specimens that I am willing to drop $20/fish on, especially if I'm not sure that they are the same. But, if I can never find my originals again, then I will have to consider building the school with these other ones.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I just wish I'd bought my whole group together at the same time to make sure they were all the same. Instead of getting random "rescue" loaches from all over the place that never look like they are supposed to lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I wish I got more than 4 cause I don't think I'll ever be able to get more like them. But in a 125 there's room for another group of loaches :-)

I'm wondering what my NLS diet will do for the fishs coloring, but that's more wishful thinking than anything.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

1 Not allowed!
    I'm upgrading my 6 Angelicus??, 8 yoyos and 2 mystery loaches from a 60g to a 120g tomorrow. Yay more room for loaches!