· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking a 40 gallon cool water tank

0 Not allowed!
    I need some ideas on what to put in my new 40 long. I've not kept fish in about 10 years, so my memory of some things is sketchy. The tank currently holds pool filter sand, a few plants, some driftwood and a few rocks for decoration. It's been primed and sacrificial fish added to start the cycling. I have a while until I can stock it for real, and my LFS can more than likely get what I need.

I do plan on keeping this a cooler water tank (around 70) both for energy saving and because my house has less than friendly wiring. I'm a bit worried about keeping a warm water tank heater on the same outlet with the filter and hoods.

Currently the tank houses 6 danios, two cherry barbs, two lemon tetras, and a handfull of feeder guppies. If they make it through the cycling, they're welcome to stay. If guppy babies become an issue, then we'll have to do something about that when the time comes.

From initial and not-very-thorough research, it looks like some species of killifish, cherry shrimp and trumpet snails to stir up the sand. What else would you recommend? I'm not sure which species of killifish to ask for.. I'd like something interesting looking, but I have no idea which ones would fit in here.

What would be a good choice for other tank mates?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    White Cloud Mountain minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) always comes to mind anytime a cooler water tank is mentioned. A big school of those would look neat.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    I must say I don't agree with the "sacrificial fish" part of your build, a fishless cycle is much easier to accomplish than a fish-in cycle, and a humane way to cycle a tank

Be that as it may, I like the white cloud minnow suggestion, a big school in a 40 would look nice
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could keep a cooler water corydoras, maybe panda or paleatus.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

3 Not allowed!
    Hey there and welcome to the AC. I would agree with Slap up top about Fishless cycling... its much faster, it can establish a bacterial culture larger than your stock and you can stock all at one time and its honestly overall better for the tank inhabitants because even with the fish you currently have, if you add new fish to it, you dont have the culture for that extra bio-load, just the load which you put in that tank.

Now onto stock - You can go with danios... A favorite of mine is the Celestial Pearl Danio. The white cloud is a great fish and pretty. There are many shiners like the painted shiner that stays small and can thrive in cool water. There are also bottom feeders like many Cory species that do well to fill out your lower levels. You can also have loaches being that its a 40 long. Botai Loaches come to mind.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I know, I should really just try the fishless. It intimidates me. I'll get over it.
    I think the white clouds are an excellent idea. Are killifish just not very popular?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Killifish are very popular... there is a whole club dedicated to just them. I have a pair that I keep at 70 and breed. There is just a lot of variability. I lucked out with mine as they have moderate mouths, calm tempers and a great look but thats usually not the case as killis tend to be very aggressive and can be a bear to deal with in a community setting. I know the clown killi is owned by KevinVa and he keeps them in a community that does well.

this is mine:

THere are just a few things you need to research. First, whats available to you in KY? Second look for the aphyosemion and fundulopanchax as they are not annual fish. Killis have the two types, one die every year and lay eggs as they are found in puddles and pools in the wild that dry up... The other is a 3-4 year fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Our LFS is pretty good about getting what you need within reason. I tried to research Killifish, buuuuut there's so much out there. It's information overload. Unfortunate that they can be fussy in community tanks though. :(

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, killies that are NOT annual are the ones to look for if I decide to go with them, is that right?

2 Not allowed!
    Have you looked at Norman's Lampeye killies? I plan on stocking my 20g with these and Celestial Pearl Danios. The Lampeye's are not colorful like other killies but they have a blue "lamp" over each eye that looks amazing. They prefer to be in groups and are considered good in a community tank. I believe they prefer cooler temps as well. You have to see them to appreciate how great they look.. pics really don't do them justice.
    DM's 20g high - journal