· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: BGKF question

1. Default BGKF question

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone,
    I recently got a new 3ft long , 1.5 feet deep and 1.5ft wide tank. It's probably around 63 gallons?
    I'll start cycling the tank from tomorrow.

I've had success with a 6 gallon (1.5ft long, 9inches deep and 9 inches wide) heavily planted tank so I'm planning on getting a lot of plants, one gravel, one sponge and an internal filter.

I plan on keeping 4 discuss in this tank, but I was wondering if i can add a black ghost knife fish here?
    I've read people successfully keeping discuss and the BGKF together, but did anyone here have success or failure doing this?

Also I've read, though the BGKF grows really slowly, they tend grow really big and will need a much bigger tank in the future. However, wont this tank stun the BGKF's growth? or will it still grow as big?

I don't know how ethical this is, but I would kind of prefer keeping the BGKF from growing too big. Can someone shed some light on this topic?
    Last edited by nahian44; 07-05-2014 at 08:00 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    That is actually a 50 gallon tank.

Although I have never kept discus, from what I have read they may need more space than a 50 gallon tank

Seeing as how a black ghost knife fish will get to over 18 inches at some point, and they are semi-aggressive, I do not believe that would be a good fit for other peaceful fish or a 50 gallon tank

This is just based on what I have read
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But will the size of the tank stun the growth of the fish? or is this just a myth?

2 Not allowed!
    stunting is not a myth, it is a real problem. Although the BGKF is a slower growing fish, at some point it will become stunted if not rehomed. It can be very very hard to tell when the right time would be to find a growing fish a new and bigger home before their growth and development is effective.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    Yup, if you wait till the upgrade is needed then you've waited to long.

BGK and discus wouldn't be a problem in a large enough tank. They hide all day long, and cruise around the tank at night - so a good moonlight system is a must if you want to enjoy watching this awesome fish. They aren't really aggressive and can be picked on by more aggressive fish, so I think peaceful to semi aggressive fish are best. Peaceful fish are fine, as long as they are big enough not to be eaten and don't invade it's space. Mine is only 12 inches. It's not done growing so there still exists the possibility for the dynamics to change I suppose. The growth of all fish slows down once the fish starts approaching it's "full" size. I would say that mine has grown about 2 inches last year. After a few failed attempts at keeping small ones I went out and got a large one.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks you guys! I actually went through with getting a ghost knife, possibly 2 inches or slightly less, and 4 discus. They seem to be getting along very peacefully. The knife usually hides in his cave all day, though he's starting to get out in light for the past two days.

The tank however, seems hopelessly understocked though. I was thinking adding 2 to 4 more discus. Can you guys suggest some more fish?

The tank is also dirted so I was thinking of looking for some kind of an algae eater or sucker mouth that might keep my tank clean and get along with the BGK and discus?

p.s. I also have 4-5 ramshorn snails in the tank. In my past experience they've really gotten out of control. I was thinking of introdducing assassin snails in the future, but are there any fish which might keep the ramshorn population in check?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No more fish. Stock the tank according to the final adult size and not current size.

If the tank is dirty, reduce the aquarium light time and do more water changes to pull nutrients feeding the algae. An algae eater adds more waste than it does to remove the algae.

BGK are nocturnal which is why it hides all day. It is cruising the tank at night while you are asleep. Be aware that BGKs can start to eat other fish's eyeballs if they are not kept well fed.