· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Broke And Removed Glass from Under Light ...

0 Not allowed!
    hey gang ....
    i had a little accident tonight. while i was trying to thoroughly clean the underside of the glass (the side thats left facing the inside of the tank, just a few inches from the water), i accidentally broke it so i continued to break it and removed it along with as much of the silicone that was securing it in place as possible.
    ive seen MANY tanks where the tops are practically open BUT im concerned of the distance between the light and the water.
    should i try to rig it a little higher maybe or just not worry? im thinking that if the original piece of glass that was there got so bad looking - that it will only be a matter of time before the glass on the lamp starts getting all hazy and ugly ...
    see pic attached for visual of what im trying to describe.
    this is the light that i have invested in:
    the 24" - 36", http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...ater-led-plus/
    no_glass.jpg

1 Not allowed!
    One thing you might have to worry about is, if the filter or fish splash any water onto the bulbs, could cause the bulb to break or go out. You can go to pretty much any hardware store and get a piece of replacement glass cut to size. Also if you do replace the glass, sand the edges of it, else it's just a matter of time before ya cut yourself on it and fish get addicted to the taste of blood.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Tbh for those leds im not sure it will matter if theres a glass or not. No glass will actually improove your lights a tad... Like 3% lol... Any ways those leds arent like the other bulbs they wont break just because a bit of water hits hit. And the light looks like all the electrical contacts are covered up.

Long story short i wouldnt get glass.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Since this is an LED system I would tend to agree that no glass shouldn't be an issue. However take a moment to think about what fish you have and if any of them are inclined to jumping. That would be the deciding factor for me.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would have to agree with Geno and Compass. I think the LEDs would be ok and would tend to more concerned about fis deciding to make a jail break if you had any jumpers.

But if for aesthetics or peace of mind and you just wanted to cover that 2.5" area, any hobby store should have clear plastic or acrylic sheets. You could use and cut to size. (I had used similar clear acrylic on model ships and planes before)

0 Not allowed!
    Oh didn't realize it was led, just looked at the picture but not the link. Probably don't need to replace cover then.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    im sorry for not replying sooner guys ...
    thanks all for chiming in. okay so i understand that i probably shouldnt be too concerned as i dont think anybody is gonna try and make a brake for it (or at least hope not).
    on a side not though - im having a pretty hard time finding where i would go to get a replacement should i decide to replace it. anyone ever had to get one cut to fit somewhere or been able to find after market replacements?
    side note - is there anywhere i cn go for a replacement of the entire lid in glass sections maybe as i've seen some people have?
    personally / aesthetically i really like the way the all glass ones look.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is a company called Glass Doctor..I think it is national but I'm not sure. They usually do window panes, but if you give them specific measurements, they may just be able to cut it and deliver it or you pick it up.

A non-glass acrylic option would be to try a store like Hobby Town USA.
    Lowe's also carries Acrylic sheets that can be cut.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Updating ... made some progress in repairing / replacing the lid for an all glass type....
    i found a place in the next town over that cut the two pieces for me for 30 bucks (1/4 with finished edges) which i thought was a little pricey ...
    i then went to the hardware store and found some acrylic "window hooks" that i hacked a little to make some handles for ease and safety when lifting for feeding or access, etc.. that i stuck on with some loctite epoxy.
    i had some plexi glass from previous projects laying around that i cut for the open spaces in the back. pretty happy with the turn out after all BUT honestly still feel like the 30 bucks for the glass was a bit much.
    gls1.jpg

acryl2.jpg

acryl1.jpg

The window hooks :
    hooks.jpg

the glue:
    lt1.jpg
    Last edited by all-wet; 07-13-2014 at 01:39 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great looking cover.I am digging it. I love the edition of the handles. 30 bucks, finished edges and piece of mind? too me..worth it!
    as for the LEDs themselves do you like the light they produce?