· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Scrubbed clean filter and fish in a bucket!

0 Not allowed!
    Recently, I unsuccessfully tried to introduce a female honey gourami to my existing male and female in a 12g/46L tank to lessen some of the aggression towards the female. The aggressive reaction of my original female fish to the new one made me realize that the male was actually being pretty laid back! I returned the new fish. Anyway, I decided to hold off getting any new fish until my 55g/200L finishes cycling (that's where I'll move the 2 honey gourami to)...

Of course, my dad decided to surprise me with a "present" of another honey gourami that is a female. They do not get along! Female #2 lost some scales and I thought she even died (she didn't!). I cannot return her as the store is way too far away and the one near me only accepts fish from their store. So female #2 is living in a 5g/18.9L bucket with a mini heater and a sponge filter (not cycled!).

On top of that, my 55g/200L was cleaned by some "helpful" family members, thereby starting the cycle over!! I'm glad they didn't "help" me with the aquarium with fish in it!!

Would doing a partial water change on the bucket 2x daily be enough to keep the one fish alive for a few more weeks until the big tank is ready for all of them? Should I try putting the fish in the 55g/200L (also not cycled) instead of the bucket? Any other ideas? If it makes a difference, the bigger tank has a few baby sword plants, but I probably won't be able to do 2x a day water changes. Also, the other inhabitants of the 12g/46L are 6 harlequin rasboras (which will also move to the larger aquarium eventually) and a zebra nerite snail.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no not "helpful family" Should get a lock and key. ;)
    Or make a class for them.

Awards Showcase

Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook 
    Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh that is a run of bad luck there. I think at this point it would be safer for the little fish if you put her in the 55. More water volume to dilute ammonia. They are such small fish that they should be fine in a 55 without having to do two water changes a day. But keep a very close eye on those ammonia readings.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    If you're going to put one fish in the new 55, you might as well move them all in. You will not be able to add ammonia to a tank with a fish in it to complete your cycle, and one fish in there will only feed enough BB for one fish. You already have a filter that can support your current bio-load, running in your 12g, correct?
    I would move everyone into the new tank, along with the filter and substrate from the 12gal. If you don't want the old substrate in your new tank, bag it so you can remove it a few weeks down the line. A pair or two of nylons should do the job. You can remove the substrate a few weeks from now, then the old filter a couple weeks after that, and the 55's filter should be seeded by then.
    Move everyone over, with the old filter running along with the 55's filter, with the old substrate, and you shouldn't have any ammonia - or aggression - problems at all.
    20gal long planted community

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Compass on that one.
    As for the gourami in the bucket as long as you keep doing the partial water changes she should do fine (If this helps and i know few people here might skin me alive for doing this but when I bought my 20 gallon I put in 12 leopard danios and a honey gourami without cycling.I only found out about it a few weeks back and by that time 2 months had passed!!)
    So my point here is although not cycling a tank is bad as long as you keep up with the partial water changes she will most likely do fine

Awards Showcase

Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook 
    Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    If you're going to put one fish in the new 55, you might as well move them all in. You will not be able to add ammonia to a tank with a fish in it to complete your cycle, and one fish in there will only feed enough BB for one fish. You already have a filter that can support your current bio-load, running in your 12g, correct?
    I would move everyone into the new tank, along with the filter and substrate from the 12gal. If you don't want the old substrate in your new tank, bag it so you can remove it a few weeks down the line. A pair or two of nylons should do the job. You can remove the substrate a few weeks from now, then the old filter a couple weeks after that, and the 55's filter should be seeded by then.
    Move everyone over, with the old filter running along with the 55's filter, with the old substrate, and you shouldn't have any ammonia - or aggression - problems at all.
    This. Do this. lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Just adding my voice to Shea's. Add all the fish to the 55g and do a cycle with fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. I guess I am moving everything to the big tank, then. Thanks!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One more question. My small aquarium came with a sample of nutrafin cycle that I never used. It says that it allows fish to be added immediately if used. Apparently, it eliminates ammonia and nitrite. It's directions basically want it added weekly (daily at first) so I'm not sure if it helps or prevents a cycle. Should I use it?

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't add it as you won't know when your tank is really cycled if you use it. You want your readings to be accurate, and you won't be sure if you are using an additive that affects your ammonia's. You can keep it for emergencies like an ammonia spike if you are in imminent danger of losing fish - but, even then, its better just to do a massive water change. I'm not a big believer in using any additives except for cleaning up city water.
    20gal long planted community