· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Its okay I appreciate your help! Its all I can think to do right now as I have had ammonia in it for about 2 months with no movement at all, hopefully the tear down will jump start something!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Your pH is a touch high for nitrosonomas and nitrobacter (nitrifying bacterias) to grow quickly. They will grow, but as you can see, very slowly. You can wait it out or you can get some RO water to mix in with the tank water. You will want enough RO water to bring the pH down to 7.5-7.8. Personally I would just wait it out. Messing with the pH isn't always a good thing.
    according to this study ammonia consuming nitrosonomas bacteria are optimal at ph 8.1. A ph of 8.2 is not far enough to stall the cycle.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11228996

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I've read 8.0. His cycle is stalled, which article/study is right? There are many different bacteria called nitrosonomas, perhaps both are correct.

MattE64, do you have an air stone running in the tank? If not it might be helpful to get one.
    Last edited by mommy1; 07-03-2014 at 08:14 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Two questions, which i have not been asked I believe.
    Firstly, have you dechlorinated your water? Chlorine would kill of any bacteria in side the tank.
    Secondly, have you added ny Beneficial bacteria? By putting some in, then you will have some that can potntially start to consume ammonia and begin a colony.

The first one is the most important one though.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am not running an airstone no but I have an aquclear 50 on a 20 gallon which is pushing 200 GPH and I lowered the water level so the filter is causing lots of bubbles which I have been told is enough aeration.

As to dechlorinating the water I added water to the tank then added 25 ml of nutrafin aqua plus tap water conditioner. After the water cycled for about half an hour to ensure the conditioner had done its job i added the seeding material

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all it has been 5 days since my tear down and rebuild, and the ammonia has not moved I just wanted to check to see if this is normal or if I should have seen some movement by now?

Also I was thinking would hanging my new filter on my already established frog tank help to get some bacteria in the new filter? Or at this point should I give it another week to see if the nitrites will appear on their own?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So after being gone all weekend my readings are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.5
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5

Is it possible that my tank just zipped through the nitrite portion while i was away this weekend? Also should I re dose with ammonia at this point?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would re-dose so you get between 2ppm-4ppm ammonia. and watch for nitrites 8 hours later if possible.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I checked my parameters after getting home from work and they registered as such:

Ammonia: ~2ppm
    Nitrite : ~.25ppm
    Nitrate : ~ 5ppm
    pH : 8.3

It appears the rebuild works and my cycle is on its way!