· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Cycle Will Not Start… Desperate and Need Help!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello I am new to the forum,

First of all sorry this is going to be a lengthy post.

I bought a brand new 20 Gallon Aquarium about 2 months ago and began to cycle it then by adding pure Safeway brand ammonia (only ingredients are water and ammonium hydroxide). About a month ago after realizing my ammonia was probably too high around 7 ppm I did a %50 PWC to bring the ammonia down to around 3 ppm. After two weeks of ammonia not moving in the slightest I added seeding material from a 5 gallon aquarium I have with two ADF in it. The seeding material was some of the gravel placed in a used filter bag and tied closed. The bag would not fit in my filter so I placed it on the gravel in my new tank near the filter intake tube. As well every other day for the past week I have been adding a small pinch of fish food. Same result absolutely no change in ammonia reading nor have any nitrites showed up. I am at a complete loss as to what could be causing my tank to refuse to cycle?

My readings are as follows:

Ammonia: ~ 3 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    pH: 8.2
    Temperature: 84 F

Filter is an aquaclear 50 with 2 bags of the ceramic rings and 1 sponge insert, and I have aquatic life T5Ho lights but they have been kept off the whole time to keep algae from growing.

Any suggestions as to why my tank is not cycling would be greatly appreciated I have become very frustrated from the lack of any movement for 2 months.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    Your pH is a touch high for nitrosonomas and nitrobacter (nitrifying bacterias) to grow quickly. They will grow, but as you can see, very slowly. You can wait it out or you can get some RO water to mix in with the tank water. You will want enough RO water to bring the pH down to 7.5-7.8. Personally I would just wait it out. Messing with the pH isn't always a good thing.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With a pH of 8.2 can it take around a month for the nitrifying bacteria to grow even with the seeding material I have used?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I've never cycled a tank with pH over 7.8, so I can't tell you. Reading your original post, pH is the only thing out of range for the bacteria that I can see.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess the only thing I can do then is play the waiting game for another week and if all else fails empty the tank and start over. The only thing I am confused about is the pH in my ADF tank where the seed material is taken from also has a pH of 8.2 so shouldn't the bacteria on the seed material be able to spread quickly?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hard surfaces in the tank have some bacteria, but not much when compared to what is in the filter media. The bacteria in the frog tank is maintaining levels not growing to meet bigger bio-load needs. The gravel you put in the new tank is probably multiplying because 3ppm ammonia is likely more than what the frogs produce, but not growing quickly.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay thank you for the information. Would it be a good idea if I don't see decrease in ammonia within a week to empty all the water and refill the tank or is this jumping the gun and losing patience to soon?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    What would be different in the tank if you emptied it and refilled it besides new water? Seems to me like you would be starting the same process over again. If there isn't any spare cycled filter media to seed the new filter, in the past, I have recommended to clean the cycled filter media in the new tanks water. When it's time for filter maintenance on the frog tank, instead of swishing the media around in old tank water, swish it around in the 20g water column. This has worked for me.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im just getting worried that the 20g has some toxin in the water that is preventing the bacteria from growing. Its just really frustrating me because its been running for 2 months and not a single sign of cycling has occurred, and I am using the same water source for both tanks so I am really at a loss

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I understand your frustration, two months is a long time when cycling with ammonia. If there might be a toxin in the water then tearing down the tank and cleaning it out would be the thing to do.