· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help! Need to set up simple shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all....Today I received a dozen RCS which I ordered online. The ad said they were 1/4 to 1/2-inch. I honestly didn't think about how small 1/4-inch is in terms of putting shrimp into my community tank. I have a couple adult RCS right now that I've had for a while.

They are ALL 1/4 inch max, and with trepidation I put two of them in my tank....one of them disappeared into grass but the other went roaming and a platy sucked him up like nothing.

So obviously I'm not "feeding" these shrimp to my community aquarium. There are 10 shrimp and I've got them in about 3 cups of water from my tank in a large tupperware with a piece of plant.

I'd like to house these in a little shrimp tank until they are big enough to make it in my community tank. I don't know anything about doing that.

The room they will be in is usually 68-70 degrees, so I'm hoping I can get by without a heater?

Also....do I need a filter or can I just do frequent water changes?

How big a container do 10 shrimp need? I assume a gallon would work okay?

I figured I would just siphon cycled water out of my 40G breeder tank as their supply for the time being.

Any and all suggestions would be so appreciated. They look like nice healthy active shrimp, just a bit wee for a community tank yet. I've actually considered having a shrimp tank someday, just not under emergency circumstances!!

thanks!
    Attitude is everything.

40 gallon FW tank: Black sand substrate, lots of live plants,
    10 long-finned zebra danios, 11 neon tetras, 6 platys, 6 julli corys, cherry shrimp and 6 nerite snails.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    As long as this is an emergency and temporary situation it should be fine until they grow a bit. The temperature will be ok for the shrimp. A filter is preferred but you can get by with daily water changes since shrimp have a small bioload. You might want to put a small air stone in the container to help with oxygenating the water. Put some plants in their container. The shrimp will feel more secure and the plants will help keep ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels down. I would use dechlorinated tap water, not tank water.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply. So are you saying they don't need to be in a cycled tank, just treat their water with a conditioner?

Also, as I bought my other shrimp as adults, I don't know how fast I can expect these shrimp to grow....?
    Attitude is everything.

10 long-finned zebra danios, 11 neon tetras, 6 platys, 6 julli corys, cherry shrimp and 6 nerite snails.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    I agree with mom, airstone, plants or anything to cling to/hide in from the 40B...even a bit of deco or rock, which will have a bit of BB growing on it...temporarily

I have another suggestion...do you have a local LFS that sells "breeder boxes", or nets, they're pretty common..

If so, go grab one now....they're nothing fancy, and inexpensive...hang that breeder inside the 40B, put your new RCS quarter-inchers in there, and give them a piece of plant to cling to and a wee bit of food each day

It'll take time for them to grow...in this situation, who knows how long?

But they'll be well protected, in an established tank, for as long as you wish

Here's one I need to pick up and have on hand for my own purposes, but this or something similar will work just fine: http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstore...1-001b2166becc

You'll need to keep the top closed off so they don't crawl out...maybe lower your water level a bit, too
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-02-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini56 View Post
    So are you saying they don't need to be in a cycled tank, just treat their water with a conditioner?
    They should be in a cycled tank, but in an emergency we use what we have available.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I have another suggestion...do you have a local LFS that sells "breeder boxes", or nets, they're pretty common..
    Excellent suggestion.

I don't know how long it will take them to grow to adult size. With fish, the cleaner the water and the more food (within reason, I'm not saying to over feed) the faster they grow. Perhaps it's the same with shrimp.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Oh, the breeder box is a great suggestion! I will get down to our LFS tonight and hopefully they will have one. If not there's a pet store about a half hour away that I can get to on Friday.

Thanks to you both for all the great input. I really enjoy the shrimp and was excited about getting more....that went straight to panic when I saw the platy eat one....but now I'm feeling more hopeful about it.
    Attitude is everything.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Let us know what you find...good to hear from you again, you haven't posted in a while!

Hope everything is fine with the 40B, and we'd love to see some up-to-date pics when you get a chance

I love my RCS, too...where did you get them from?...there's some members here who sell them with excellent results on the buyer's end

No worries, if the 40B has enough hiding places and some leftover food, you'll be overrun with RCS in no time

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the welcome back. I guess I'm a fair-weather forum participant as I only tend to come when I need to drink from the trough of wisdom here, lol. Mostly life is just busy, which isn't always a bad thing.

The 40g is doing well! Except maybe the cherry shrimp who have dwindled in number gradually over the last 4 months. I've seen a shrimplet or two in the fake grass I bought just for them, but they don't make it to adulthood. And I'm not sure why my original adult population has dwindled, but suspect my water parameters aren't perfect for them. Or the corys don't leave them enough food? I bought this dozen thinking I'd give it one more shot and see how they go.

Those first shrimp came from "The Shrimp Farm" and I can't recommend them. Poor packing, slow shipping, too many DOA.

I bought this batch from a private party off eBay and they are very robust looking little guys, so we will see.

I have had horrid luck getting good pics of my tank despite having a couple different cameras available. Probably I've set my expectations too high! I kind of gave up trying....but maybe this weekend I will give it another go and see if I can't get one or two decent ones. I won't bother trying to photograph the FISH, just try to get one of the tank to post for you.
    Attitude is everything.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Life is busy for all of us, at different stages, and different times...I totally understand

Anyhow, go get that breeder for the newbies, and try for a tank shot or 2 of that 40B this weekend!

And please PM me if you buy more RCS in the future, there's guys here who sell excellent ones for a very cheap price, shipped to your door