· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 2 weeks in and no hint of cycling

0 Not allowed!
    I setup a new 75 gallon about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I let it all run for a few days, check for leaks, stabilize temperature, etc.. On fathers days, which is 2 1/2 weeks ago, I added 3 Kenyi cichlids to this tank. We did a 20-25% water change daily for 1 week. Then for a couple days, we did every other day water changes, and now every 3 days. 17 days in, and I keep testing 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and the Nitrates are a pain in the neck to read. The oranges and red all look the same to me at times. However, the nitrates do look more orange than when we started out. I test the water just before I do a water change. We feed our fish twice a day and I do gravel out the visible poop that I see with each water change. They eat all, or very close to all the food we give them. I use Nov Aqua and Amquel with each water change. Did my tank cycle for these 3 fish, or are there not enough fish to properly cycle this tank? I was considering adding 4-5 yellow Labs to see if this helps push the cycle along. Any thoughts as to what I should do next, or change in my routine. Tank is still having a bacterial bloom, however each water change seems to dissipate it a little more each time.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Your tank does not appear to be cycled because you have 0ppm nitrate. How big are these fish? If they are still very tiny, the frequent water changes may be removing to much ammonia. The cloudy water suggests something is going on, I would wait to do the next water change until there is an ammonia reading around .25ppm, or in 7 days, whichever happens first. If there is no change in the next 2 weeks go ahead and add the labs.

Just a suggestion, it might be better to return the fish you have and complete a cycle with bottled ammonia. With African cichlids it is best to add them all at once.
    Last edited by mommy1; 07-02-2014 at 11:00 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just to clarify, thats 0 Nitrites. Nitrates have always registered between 5-20. Our tap has 5-10 Nitrate in it. The nitrate test I run, seem to have gotten darker. Indicating that they have indeed gone up. And yes these fish are tiny. All 3 are around 2". Is it usual for the ammonia to take this long to show up?

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Usually you will get an ammonia reading by the next day, since your fish are tiny and in a good sized tank, I would think 2 or 3 days should be more than long enough. Did you use seeded media in the filter? If you have nitrates the tank might be cycled. I would still wait a few more days without doing water changes and see if the nitrates go up. Don't wait too long because at higher levels nitrates are toxic just like ammonia and nitrite. But, if after two or three more days you see them going up then I would call the tank cycled.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Brand new setup tank. No filter media to borrow and push it along. I am thinking what you are thinking as well. Just wanted some more opinions.