· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wait!!!!
    you never told us the decided stocking!!

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    lol sorry, I recently discovered a nice LFS that can order me any fish I want, so I am sticking to 4-5 schools of tetras of my choice, around 8-10 tetras per school, a red tail shark, and a couple smaller catfishes for the bottom, ie upside down catfish or the see through one I have at petsmart. I will still be tweaking and fixing the list up until I actually purchase the stock. But thats about what I have decided. Thank You!

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bojanbajicic727 View Post
    lol sorry, I recently discovered a nice LFS that can order me any fish I want, so I am sticking to 4-5 schools of tetras of my choice, around 8-10 tetras per school, a red tail shark, and a couple smaller catfishes for the bottom, ie upside down catfish or the see through one I have at petsmart. I will still be tweaking and fixing the list up until I actually purchase the stock. But thats about what I have decided. Thank You!
    4-5 schools of 8-10 fish is too much for a 55 gallon, provided they aren't the smallest of the smallest tetras(neons, embers, rubys, ect). I would recommend you stick to 3 schools of 12-14 tetras, that way your fish will be more comfortable in a larger group.
    Get some neon tetras(try to have their school numbers larger than the tetras that are larger than them). The other tetra is completely up to you.

This "see through" catfish you are talking about seems like you are talking about the glass catfish. There's information on it here:
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...rus-vitreolus/
    It's a really cool fish, but it's not a bottom feeder. They need a very peaceful tank, and there wouldn't be any room to add these with the amount of tetras you want.

Since you wanted some catfishes for the bottom, one very easy option is a bristlenose pleco. They will eat some algae and stay small enough for a 55 gallon tank(6 inches is the biggest they will ever get). Make sure it has driftwood and a cave.

Upside down catfish should be fine, just make sure you do research on them.

Last but surely not least, don't get a red tailed shark. The red tailed shark is not at all a community fish, and it would most likely stress out the tetras, and anything else smaller and weaker than it in your tank.
    The rainbow shark is a better community fish, but is not a long term option, as it can eventually reach 6 inches. With it's fast movements and such, it wouldn't be a good tankmate for your tetras at 4 or 5 inches. This doesn't mean that a rainbow shark wouldn't chase your tetras once in a while. It just means it wouldn't be nearly as destructive as a red tailed shark. If you have plenty of caves and rocks at the bottom of your tank, this guy shouldn't cause many problems.

Here's the difference in appearance:
    Red tailed shark:
    Just the red tail, rest of body is black
    image.jpg
    Rainbow shark:
    similar to the red tailed, but fins are red
    image.jpg

If I'm correct, PetSmart does sell both of these.

Anyways, there are better long term options for fish that you could just keep one of, like angels or gouramis, but this is your tank. Do research on the fish you get, and make sure all of your fish(especially bottom feeders) have territory.

Good luck with your tank! If you are curious about any other fish, feel free to ask.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think a couple/few Dwarf Gouramis would give you the small-medium size fish you are looking for, they are slow peaceful swimmers
    A large school of Brilliant Rasboras would give you beautiful school with some quicker swimming.
    I would also add a school Panda Cory Cats. They don't get too big and are beautiful and fun to watch as well.
    All very peaceful fish, lots of color and different action.

...and Shrimp
    Last edited by Fishhook; 07-24-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    55 Gallon Native Species: Bluegill, mosquito fish, fathead minnows
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Beta, Clown Pleco